Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by abdullah »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:26 am I didn't create reports on the tracker because I naively thought I could take care of them myself and make my first PRs... But I have to face it: I'm no programmer, and never will be.

Since Yorik uploaded new strings to Crowdin already, I guess it's too late now. Which means we'll have to live with poor error messages for another cycle. :roll:
I am not sure whether you will ever write code for a new functionality. I am sure you are able to improve the strings. It is much easier than what you already do/have done in packaging. You might need some time to get use to the specifics of the coding, but if you wish to do it, it will come rather easily. I am sure of that.

Nobody is in a better position as those who help in the forum are to identify the problems about potentially misleading information. It may well be a new subproject for v0.19.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:37 am Another one: issue #3177 is not closed yet

It is illogical for Pad up to face to have a restriction on a datum plane to be parallel to the sketch plane, when the pad is the first feature being added.
A potential solution is pending review:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1847
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok newest translations are in! We have two new languages that passed 50%: Arabic and Vietnamese (which is at 89%!)

I'll start building the offlinedocs too
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yorik wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:09 pm I'll start building the offlinedocs too
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorik wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:09 pm Ok newest translations are in!
Thanks for waiting. I've been rushing in vain. :roll:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 20#p275822

There were no announcement made on Crowdin to make a last translation push. Time should be given to people after an annoucement. Please do it next time.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:57 am And even if it is parallel it does not work. It doesn't show in the preview and on confir it says "Linked object is not a Sketch or Part2DObject".
I have no such issue here.
FC_Pad_uptoface_datumplane_01.png
FC_Pad_uptoface_datumplane_01.png (45.45 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

abdullah wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:58 pm A potential solution is pending review:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1847
Thanks, I had overlooked it! Hope it gets merged.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

sgrogan wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:22 pm I would like to test Norm's work on improving "Whats This"
Unfortunately I didn't have time to create all the missing Sketcher command pages. I don't know if other workbenches are missing pages. On the other hand, haven't we talked about splitting the docs to a separate repo? Kurt's work on Salsa could simply be mirrored. So after the 0.18 release, if we tackle this we should be able to update the documentation file without having to build new FreeCAD binaries.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:30 pm Unfortunately I didn't have time to create all the missing Sketcher command pages. I don't know if other workbenches are missing pages.
If we can do some test build maybe we can make some more progress. Every little bit helps!
NormandC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:30 pm On the other hand, haven't we talked about splitting the docs to a separate repo? Kurt's work on Salsa could simply be mirrored. So after the 0.18 release, if we tackle this we should be able to update the documentation file without having to build new FreeCAD binaries.
Agreed. We may have to tackle this for the newest Ubuntu releases even for 0.18. I'm nervous, that id we use a single package on the PPA and a split package for upstream Debian, eventually it will cause problems.
"fight the good fight"
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Kurt did propose to consolidate packaging work between Debian and the PPA. I think that adopting the split package approach for the new 0.18 release in the freecad-stable PPA should not be too complicated.

I'm much more concerned with conflicting OCCT packages when OCCT 7.4.0 comes out, as I've mentioned many times already.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Translations of the homepage are in too!