Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:16 pm @kkremitzki @sgrogan and @looo thanks a lot for the efforts guys... Packaging is really a lot of work...
I 2nd this!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

As a former packager, one who failed to provide results on this release :oops: , I understand how hard it can be, so I'm grateful for your efforts.

That being said, there are daily posts now from people confused about the situation.

I created a topic to try to address this: Status of FreeCAD 0.18 Release

Could a mod pin it to the top of the Install/Compile forum? Thanks. Actually, wouldn't a general announcement be better?

As I have no idea what the current status for macOS releases is, I left it blank. Anyone with the rights to edit my topic, please feel free to do so.
naxq0

Post by naxq0 »

Hi everyone :)

I've been following the python2/python3 debate for a while and I personally also think that python3 is the way to go ;)

That being said I have some scipts that use FreeCAD+python2, which I've gotten to work in FreeCAD 0.18 using the freecad-python2 folder.

I would like to eventually port them to python3, but my question is:
can we expect this freecad-python2 folder to be there until the 0.19 Release?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

naxq0 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:27 pm can we expect this freecad-python2 folder to be there until the 0.19 Release?
Simple answer is no, Python 2 is end of life so if your distro no longer has Python 2 FreeCAD will not either on your system.

You have not told us what os you are talking about.
naxq0

Post by naxq0 »

jmaustpc wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:34 pm
naxq0 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:27 pm can we expect this freecad-python2 folder to be there until the 0.19 Release?
Simple answer is no, Python 2 is end of life so if your distro no longer has Python 2 FreeCAD will not either on your system.

You have not told us what os you are talking about.
Ah yes sorry. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04. But my question would apply to both Ubuntu 16 and 18
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yorik wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:43 pm Our release efforts being spotted :) http://libregraphicsworld.org/blog/entr ... april-2019
Pressures on :lol:
Good to know we are not alone in these hurdles :?
"fight the good fight"
yopito

Post by yopito »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:56 pm Thanks for your work packaging FreeCAD :)
We have made a commitment to creating immutable tags for the 0.18 release cycle. Both tags can be considered official. The FreeCAD project has not made an official announcement because we are scrambling to provide binaries, homepage updates, download page updates etc. Of course you can also build from HEAD of the release branch. Anything that is backported to the release branch has been vetted by the FreeCAD main devs, they will be eventually tagged as the next point release.

@ yopito, any feed back you have is welcomed in the install/compile forum. We are trying to use the git tags to our (packagers) advantage.
Thanks for your reply and explanations.
Hope you will keep this tag policy, it really helps packaging ... Less work than providing an official release ;)

I don't have particular feedback on install/compile FreeCAD on VoidLinux (https://voidlinux.org)
I might describe the building process and context if it has some interest to you.
Quick overview: rolling distribution, with either glibc or musl libc, based on libressl and runit (instead of openssl and systemd). Support several CPU architectures that are targeted via crossbuild when possible (for packaging).
These days, FreeCAD will be built with gcc 8.3, python 3.6, Qt 5.11, pivy 0.64, vtk 8.2, occt 7.3.0p3, ...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yopito wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 pm Thanks for your reply and explanations.
Hope you will keep this tag policy, it really helps packaging ... Less work than providing an official release ;)
Thanks for the feedback. Do you build from the tag on the release branch or from the source code that is an asset of the release of the tag? Hope that made sense.
"fight the good fight"
yopito

Post by yopito »

I use the tag as version for source tarball:

Code: Select all

version=0.18
[...]
distfiles="https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/archive/${version}.tar.gz"
Edit: that's why I was wondering about tag as immutable "point"