Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by yorik »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:47 pm Shall we make some progress on fixing Crowdin ?
What do you mean?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

yorik wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:48 pm What do you mean?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p284737
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Note that as FreeCAD 0.18 release likely isn't imminent, still some work left to do, i will prepare a PR (in February) that should improve overall icon themes support in FreeCAD 0.18.

P.S. If there are any objections, or if a release happens before that, i can still target this work for FreeCAD 0.19.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

yorik wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:44 pm The remaining [For 0.18] PRs are quite large ones, and actually too complex for me to review given my limited programming skills. So they are basically on Werner's shoulders only, unless someone else volunteers to help reviewing them. He has actually merged several of them recently, so I guess those are on his todo list too. But the task is huge, so it takes time, and as the FreeCAD motto says, it's done when it's done...
No problem, by year 2300 I might able to do Werner's task of reviewing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a related topic: Do we know exactly what is missing to release 0.18? What is holding the release back?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:18 pm On a related topic: Do we know exactly what is missing to release 0.18? What is holding the release back?
Translations
Fixing the remaining issues in crowdin
I'm tracking that via https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 75#p280243

PR is at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/1961
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

abdullah wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:18 pm What is holding the release back?
Well for one thing, adding new features even though we're supposed to be in feature freeze since like past November... ;)
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

i didn't see a message about feature freeze at all!
That's exactly the info i miss (sometimes) from the main developers. info in what state we are is there a feature freeze, what bug are need te resolve before a new release, what steps have to be taken etc.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

There was no official freeze announcement. It was more or less informally agreed upon, I'd say. Since early December there has been repeated "what's missing for a 0.18 release?" posts here. A release implies a feature freeze... But as I wrote, there hasn't been much discipline in that area. :D But I'm not criticizing, just stating fact. ;)

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:17 pm That's exactly the info i miss (sometimes) from the main developers. info in what state we are is there a feature freeze, what bug are need te resolve before a new release, what steps have to be taken etc.
This could be improved. For now, we can only monitor this topic. A single page (on the forum or the wiki, or the tracker?) that is kept up to date with all the relevant info would help, but who would maintain it?

You can have a look at the tracker's roadmap: https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/roadmap_page.php
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:17 pm i didn't see a message about feature freeze at all!
That's exactly the info i miss (sometimes) from the main developers. info in what state we are is there a feature freeze, what bug are need te resolve before a new release, what steps have to be taken etc.
The situation is not that bad... This time we managed to concentrate it all here in one thread, and (almost :? ) everybody was informed of the feature freeze... Sorry you hadn't seen it, next time we can think of something better...
abdullah wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:18 pm On a related topic: Do we know exactly what is missing to release 0.18? What is holding the release back?
For me, it could be done now, I don't think there is any more showstopper bug (@Kunda1, I don't think we can solve all our translation issues before 0.18 otherwise it'll take many years more...). I guess we need the opinion of our Grand Master of the Code :)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

If it's nearly time, then it's probably best to say, it's time. If anything important is missed it can be addressed in 0.18.1.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.