Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
fosselius

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by fosselius »

looo wrote: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:53 am Another year without py3 means another year where I won't be part of the release... :D
Lets not forget that Py2 will most likely no longer be maintained when 0.19 is released. https://pythonclock.org
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

It's really sort of a "phantom issue". The version in the PPA is from August, but there's been two uploads to Debian since which include a version bump from 5.11.0 to 5.11.2. So, I simply need to test the new package's ability to build on our Ubuntu targets, make changes as necessary, and then upload them. I've just been busy with several things including a move and preparation for a new job which I start tomorrow, but I should be able to get it taken care of within the next week.

Once the rebuild is done we can take a look again at the freecad-python3 package, and once that is in an acceptable state we can perhaps try replacing freecad-daily with it as well.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

triplus wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:46 pm Hi Bert.

For a while now Conda based Py3/Qt5 binaries are provided on a daily/weekly basis (for Linux and Windows):

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases

Not much else can be done from our side for now. I guess. In FreeCAD 0.19 development cycle we will just need to be more vocal. To encourage more end users to use/test Py3/Qt5 builds in daily routine (and report potential issues).
I beg to differ. On the main page, only 0.17 is mentioned. https://www.freecadweb.org/

Put a link there, call it a Release candidate (or whatever you want) mention it is almost as stable, or even more stable than 0.17, and that we want to hash out the last bugs, so please test this release: 0.18_xx

For sure that would be a sign to the "normal users" that it is time to start downloading:-)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

True. But if you click on the link it should get you to the download page. And there this is mentioned:
Development Versions

FreeCAD's development is always active! Do you want to check out the 0.18 development release? Get it on the FreeCAD releases page.
In addition on GitHub releases page we have a Python 3 related note. Therefore i feel that should likely be enough. What we will likely have to do more (compared to the past) is to ask explicitly here on the forum. For end users to start using Python 3 builds in their daily routine. And to report potential issues. During FreeCAD 0.19 development cycle i am rather optimistic this will get sorted out.

Anyway are we still up for doing a release this year? Yes or No? If yes lets do it before the end of the year. As i doubt all will be prepared to invest the effort when the holidays come. If no best if we don't waste more time on such in depth discussions this year. And better to start them again early next year.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

triplus wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:19 pm Anyway are we still up for doing a release this year? Yes or No? If yes lets do it before the end of the year. As i doubt all will be prepared to invest the effort when the holidays come. If no best if we don't waste more time on such in depth discussions this year. And better to start them again early next year.
I vote not to give up yet. I re-iterate my opinion that when the release branch is created on GitHub, FreeCAD is released. There are many projects that don't offer the same level of binary support as FreeCAD. As long as FreeCAD builds on older dependency stacks nothing is lost.
"fight the good fight"
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

The current 0.18 splash screen is still the same of 0.17.. We need urgently a new one!

About releasing by the end of this year, let's try! If we keep that as a target date, even if we pass it a little bit, it will be mostly ready.

Bugfixing is going its way I think, but the rest can be already attacked too: mac support (let's try to advocate on social networks that we need mac people to help, maybe?), documentation (several of us are tackling this already apparently) and translations (I'll update things there this week, we'll need an advertising campaign)
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

yorik wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:53 pm The current 0.18 splash screen is still the same of 0.17.. We need urgently a new one!
May be a screenshot from ppemawm?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 40#p252135

Or a nice FEM screenshot?
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Sweet :) are we going for one or rand? One from each of the more common wb together with a tooltip/hint?

The user will be forced to see it anyway, lets use that opportunity to educate the user.
Last edited by fosselius on Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think the splash screen shouldn't be a simple screenshot but a little bit more artistic image... Yeah something based on one of ppemawm's model would be awesome. I think he didn't publish any of those models, did he? We could ask for one!
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

yorik wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:16 am I think the splash screen shouldn't be a simple screenshot but a little bit more artistic image... Yeah something based on one of ppemawm's model would be awesome. I think he didn't publish any of those models, did he? We could ask for one!
+1

I am a fan.

He did publish one this year, some mind blowing engine, but I am not able to find it again.

I remember I downloaded it to my PC to try to learn something, well, one is entitled to have dreams ;)