Release of 0.18

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Release of 0.18

Post by kkremitzki »

I just pushed the 0.18.1 tag for some backported bugfixes.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yopito

Post by yopito »

Hello,

I'm packaging FreeCAD for VoidLinux distribution.
0.18 is not officially released, but since (source code) tag 0.18 and 0.18.1 exist, do they define a formal/stable release from project's point of view ?
These tag are immutable (not floating tag) ?

Thanks for your inputs and many thanks for this amazing software.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

It seems that in linux mint tara 19.1 FreeCAD 'stable' is still 0.16
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/freecad
brjhaverkamp

Post by brjhaverkamp »

Hi all,

I just noticed that on the release page (https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases)
, there are already 7z packages (of that is the right term) for 0.19_pre, but not for 0.18. What are those waiting for?
Also there are a couple of 0.19_pre packages listed in the 0.18_pre section. I think this is by accident.
FreeCAD_0.19.16291_Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage
FreeCAD_0.19.16291_Conda_Py3Qt5_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage.zsync

Will the 0.18_pre section be removed after 0.18(.1) packages are all in placeand officially released? It doesn't make much sense keeping it around on the releases page, right?

Bert
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yopito wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 am Hello,

I'm packaging FreeCAD for VoidLinux distribution.
0.18 is not officially released, but since (source code) tag 0.18 and 0.18.1 exist, do they define a formal/stable release from project's point of view ?

Thanks for your inputs and many thanks for this amazing software.
Hi and welcome to FreeCAD. :)

0.18 was our release version, we were at the point of creating packages etc. and final testing of them, a hand full of bug fixes were back ported to 0.18 which created 0.18.1. If we believe it is warranted at some future point we could possibly produce another bug fix point release of 0.18 hence 0.18.2 but all development will now be in 0.19 branch.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

easyw-fc wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:51 am It seems that in linux mint tara 19.1 FreeCAD 'stable' is still 0.16
https://community.linuxmint.com/software/view/freecad
As explained in the Download wiki page, the repositories of Ubuntu/Linux Mint are always outdated. Once a Ubuntu/Mint version is released, the packages in theirs repositories are frozen for the life of this Linux version (which may be supported for 5 years in the case of an LTS); only the packages for Internet apps are upgraded. That is why back in 2011 I pushed for the FreeCAD PPA and why I maintained it for some years, now sgrogan and Kurt are taking care of it.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

NormandC wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:04 pm As explained in the Download wiki page, the repositories of Ubuntu/Linux Mint are always outdated. Once a Ubuntu/Mint version is released, the packages in theirs repositories are frozen for the life of this Linux version (which may be supported for 5 years in the case of an LTS); only the packages for Internet apps are upgraded. That is why back in 2011 I pushed for the FreeCAD PPA and why I maintained it for some years, now sgrogan and Kurt are taking care of it.
Thx for clarification... I'm quite new to linux mint and I thought we should notify the new release to the devs.
:D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

On Ubuntu 16.04 freecad-daily is still 0.18. What can I do to upgrade to 0.19? I even purged the package, but on reinstall it's still 0.18. Anything I can do besides using the Appimage?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

The daily PPA has not been updated since I'm still working on finalizing the 0.18(.1) release.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yopito wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:11 am I'm packaging FreeCAD for VoidLinux distribution.
Thanks for your work packaging FreeCAD :)
We have made a commitment to creating immutable tags for the 0.18 release cycle. Both tags can be considered official. The FreeCAD project has not made an official announcement because we are scrambling to provide binaries, homepage updates, download page updates etc. Of course you can also build from HEAD of the release branch. Anything that is backported to the release branch has been vetted by the FreeCAD main devs, they will be eventually tagged as the next point release.

@ yopito, any feed back you have is welcomed in the install/compile forum. We are trying to use the git tags to our (packagers) advantage.
"fight the good fight"