frequent faults with DRI3

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
oddtopus

frequent faults with DRI3

Post by oddtopus »

Goodmorning developers.
I see here, here and experienced here that there is a frequent issue about server X and the use of DRI3 in GNU-Linux systems.
Maybe also this has something to do with it but in a different environment.
As for my understanding this happens for a missing initialization dealing with how qt is supposed to manage threads: I just read something about that in the qt forum.
The workaround suggested up to now is to disable the DRI3 stuff before launching freecad or create aliases for the desktop and CLI command. That is simple but maybe boring: also that can discourage many newbies and also scare some longer-time user (I feared to throw away my new laptop!).
What is worst is that maybe in future there will be no possibility to disable DRI3 because it's going to be the default tecnology in Wayland (reference).
(BTW: in one of the posts linked above I see that for chrisb the DRI3 worked with KDE plasma. Maybe the bug is something related to gnome only?)

I'm wondering if that thread in the qt forum linked above can help.

Regards
triplus
Veteran

Re: frequent faults with DRI3

Post by triplus »

Hi @oddtopus

On some hardware GPU drivers (display stack) still has issues when it comes to DRI3. DRI3 was enabled by default on latest Linux distributions (likely) knowing some end users will still experience potential issues. Therefore best to report such issues to your Linux distribution issue tracker. Against i guess mesa-dri package. Once fixed upstream for your hardware. After you won't have to use the workaround (DRI2) anymore.