Help needed to start modifying FreeCAD

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Help needed to start modifying FreeCAD

Post by Kunda1 »

fosselius wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:15 pm I would like to get more feedback / input here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=31950

Maybe I should create an initial draft for one of the points mentioned and then ask for improvement/corrections/additions?
This is great. yes, I would say just start on what attracts you and keep us updated. If you want to put it in a collaborative medium where people can edit/contribute/feedback that would also be great.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:04 pm If you want to put it in a collaborative medium where people can edit/contribute/feedback that would also be great.
kkremitzki wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:39 pm Check out this: https://freecad.github.io/
If we could make freecad.github.io the "public" blog and give access, we could work on a blogpost directly and review it before making it public, otherwise a google doc? Wiki page? .html, .tex or .txt in new gitrepo?

Update. Just read the initial post, and found the instructions on how to post ;)

Soo.. should i make a pull request for the initial draft and then we take discussions /changes in the "code review" ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

fosselius wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:22 pm Soo.. should i make a pull request for the initial draft and then we take discussions /changes in the "code review"
lets see what kkremitzki says since he set it up initially.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

As long as you don't run nikola deploy within the freecad-blog repo, the posts won't be published, so we can e.g. make and merge pull requests for work-in-progress posts. You can do nikola auto -b when editing to launch a browser window which auto-builds your post changes as you write them and auto-refreshes the page after the build is complete.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
AIMEDSOLUTIONS

Post by AIMEDSOLUTIONS »

HI Guys
Right now I started to exploer Part design, Tech Draw, Sketcher, A2p to check what max capacity I can get from these. Then I will let you know when I will start to make some initial video tutorials for your approval. If you find those good then I will move further.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

kkremitzki wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:17 pm You can do nikola auto -b
I get 404 in browser and get "undefined keyword used" in terminal. What version of nikola are you using? I used the command in a clean checkout inside the root of the git repo.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

fosselius wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:27 pm
I get 404 in browser and get "undefined keyword used" in terminal. What version of nikola are you using? I used the command in a clean checkout inside the root of the git repo.
Where did you install it from ?
What version?
I'm using Nikola v7.8.15 and it works
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Will check next time i am at the computer. But did a snap install nikola on ubuntu 18.04.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

fosselius wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:27 pm
I'm also using 7.8.15 via pip3 install -U nikola. There might be some dependencies for auto -b specifically.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

Initial draft is here now. I can give write access if you want to play around with it.
https://github.com/maidenone/FreeCAD-blog
i do not like to play around at the "real" get repo in case something gets messed up and deployed ;)

I still see the issue..

Code: Select all

Scanning posts........done!
.  render_taxonomies:freecad.github.io/authors/kurt-kremitzki/index.html
.  render_taxonomies:freecad.github.io/categories/cat_posts/index.html
TaskError - taskid:render_taxonomies:freecad.github.io/categories/cat_posts/index.html
PythonAction Error
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/doit/action.py", line 424, in execute
    returned_value = self.py_callable(*self.args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/nikola/nikola.py", line 1360, in render_template
    template_name, None, local_context)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/dist-packages/nikola/plugins/template/mako.py", line 113, in render_template
    data = template.render_unicode(**context)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mako/template.py", line 471, in render_unicode
    as_unicode=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mako/runtime.py", line 838, in _render
    **_kwargs_for_callable(callable_, data))
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mako/runtime.py", line 873, in _render_context
    _exec_template(inherit, lclcontext, args=args, kwargs=kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/mako/runtime.py", line 899, in _exec_template
    callable_(context, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/maiden/Projects/FreeCAD-blog/cache/.mako.tmp/base.tmpl.py", line 124, in render_body
    context['self'].content(**pageargs)
  File "/home/maiden/Projects/FreeCAD-blog/cache/.mako.tmp/tag.tmpl.py", line 122, in render_content
    __M_writer(str(feeds_translations.feed_link(tag)))
TypeError: render_feed_link() missing 1 required positional argument: 'kind'

########################################
render_taxonomies:freecad.github.io/categories/cat_posts/index.html <stdout>:
have tested py2,py3 and 3 versions of nikola, now using v8.0.1 guess i have missed some dependency?