3MF: 3D Manufacturing Format

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: 3MF: 3D Manufacturing Format

Post by Kunda1 »

JFYI, you can timestamp youtube videos

Code: Select all

https://youtu.be/8-EnB95-lQ0?t=1420
phpBB [video]
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Photodraft

Post by Photodraft »

Ahhhhh............ I see 1420/60 = 23mins plus .66666666......
Well what a school day this has been. 3MF AMF and now time stamps.
Thanks,
Bob
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Photodraft wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 pm Ahhhhh............ I see 1420/60 = 23mins plus .66666666......
Well what a school day this has been. 3MF AMF and now time stamps.
Or just right click on the youtube video and choose 'Copy video URL at current time'
;)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
fabricator4

Post by fabricator4 »

caffeinatedinsanity wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:05 pm From what I understand one of the main advantages of 3mf over AMF is that 3mf is open source while amf is a company's
You got that back to front. 3MF is from the "3MF consortium" which includes companies like Microsoft and Autodesk. AMF is the open ASTM/ISO format that has been around since 2011.
fabricator4

Post by fabricator4 »

Bayesian wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:00 pm What advantages does AMF or 3MF give you over STL in your workflow?
Try it, you'll be amazed how easy it is to save amf in FreeCAD compared to the kludgy mess you have to go through to generate an stl. You select the solid, then export to AMF. That it. No converting to mesh or trying to figure out why your mesh got broken etc.

Also, an AMF defines a solid so you can import it easily and modify it easily. Cura seems to love amf files as much as FreeCAD and I do. There's no down-sides really. I'm more than happy to leave .stl in the ditch at the side of the road where they belong.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

fabricator4 wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:11 am
caffeinatedinsanity wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:05 pm From what I understand one of the main advantages of 3mf over AMF is that 3mf is open source while amf is a company's
You got that back to front. 3MF is from the "3MF consortium" which includes companies like Microsoft and Autodesk. AMF is the open ASTM/ISO format that has been around since 2011.
Both are open source. 3MF is, indeed, created by a consortium but the documents and reference implementations are published under BSD license.
Hades32

Post by Hades32 »

There is summary by Prusa of AMF vs 3MF: https://blog.prusaprinters.org/3mf-file ... eat_30986/

I especially like that it can contain my print settings!
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

This is the third or fourth video I've seen about 3mf in the last few months. It seems like lib3mf is pretty ubiquitous now and most CADs and slicers are supporting the format. What's the future for FreeCAD?

phpBB [video]
falviani

Re: 3MF: 3D Manufacturing Format question

Post by falviani »

I have a test file containing 2 bodies and a boolean fuse (attached). When I export it to prusa slicer using either 3mf or amf formats (using any of the normal selections in the object tree below the boolean operation), only 1 body ever is read by the slicer and displayed. Selecting the boolean operation itself for export results in no contents as far as the slicer is concerned, which is reasonable. Is this expected behavior? If so, I'll need other modeling software :( I need distinct bodies in the file in order to use the "split to parts" function in prusa slicer in order to match parts with filaments for a 4 color 3D printer.
Thanks in advance.
Attachments
PrusaTest_v2.FCStd
(24.31 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

falviani wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:05 pm Is this expected behavior?
Of course the result varys on the selected object, e.g.:

(When nothing is selected, it is anyway ambiguous and should throw an error).

When the Body flair is selected, then it should be only one solid (as it is). When the feature Boolean is selected, then it should result the same as Body flair, since it is the tip (and the last feature anyway). (The result in the main branch 0.22dev is here wrong btw., it just exports the base, not the fusion)

When you export the feature Pad and Pad001, you get two solids.

If you want in the end two singe solids, you should not boolean fusion both together.

Greetings
user1234