the (sheetmetal) fold module

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
kcleung

the (sheetmetal) fold module

Postby kcleung » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:12 am

I am interesting in scratchbuilding brass models, as well as building from brass kit sets. These models are often made of brass casting, and etched (or laser-cut) sheetmetal, which must be folded into the final shape. I am very keen to do all these designs and assembly in Free-cad, and make sure the assembly works before I get the sheetmetal etched and the casting made.

From the free-cad wiki, I learned that there was an abandoned project on the fold module. Is this module about designing the chemical etch and/or laser-cut pattern on sheetmetal, and simulate the folding of the sheet? Also where can I find the design documentation and the source code of the fold module? I can't find anything related to the fold module in the git repository.

Obviously, if this module were to be implemented, it would be targeted at 0.14 or (more likely) later. So will we anticipate changes in plugin APIs in post-0.13 code?

Thanks!

kcleung
wmayer
Site Admin

Re: the (sheetmetal) fold module

Postby wmayer » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:42 am

The fold module was never part of FreeCAD and was hosted on another platform. However, it seems that this platform doesn't exist any more and thus the sources are not available online. Nevertheless, here is a source tarball I have grabbed some years ago. But I don't know if it still works.
Attachments
fold_v1.zip
(526.08 KiB) Downloaded 1334 times
kcleung

Postby kcleung » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:09 pm

wmayer wrote:The fold module was never part of FreeCAD and was hosted on another platform. However, it seems that this platform doesn't exist any more and thus the sources are not available online. Nevertheless, here is a source tarball I have grabbed some years ago. But I don't know if it still works.
Thanks! However do we have any design documentation outlining the goals and the design philosophy of the fold module? Also to make the module usable in the 0.14 freecad kernel, what API changes I need to be aware of since the fold module was abandoned?
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:48 am

Hi and welcome
from memory, the last time we talked about a sheet metal/folding work bench this on this forum was here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1921&hilit=sheetmetal

we started 20th November 2011 but it went on to May 2012.

Jim
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:24 am

kcleung wrote:do we have any design documentation outlining the goals and the design philosophy of the fold module?
I'm afraid the only info about it was lost when the author "unplugged" his website.

In any case, If I remember correctly, he got only to a stage where he took a wire consisting of lines and arcs and unbending it. Which is far from unbending an actual 3D shape. There didn't seem to be any GUI for this module.

As for the discussion that jmaustpc refers to, it got no further than talk.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:04 am

I just looked up the old site in way back machine web archive, see here

http://web.archive.org/web/201008040629 ... reecad.htm

Jim
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:12 am

jmaustpc wrote:I just looked up the old site in way back machine web archive, see here

http://web.archive.org/web/201008040629 ... reecad.htm

Jim
Not that it helps much, none of the links work, but it does show his email address.