Release notes for v0.19

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Release notes for v0.19

Post by Kunda1 »

triplus wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:41 pm Taking such initiative is definitely much better, compared to just proposing automation.
There is probably a solution somewhere in the space between a simple RSS feed of the FreeCAD/FreeCAD commits being logged somewhere and full on machine learning AI cherrypicking commits worth mentioning. The idea to propose is it to get a conversation going and I don't consider that not taking initiative either. (Sorry, don't mean to sound snarky, just clarifying my position)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If we just focus on upstream commits the number (0.19_pre) currently is:

Code: Select all

260 commits to master since this release
And there are external modules, forums discussions, issue tracker ... Automation is therefore more suitable for Start page -> Activity purposes and things like that. Release notes on the other hand require more people oriented effort invested. Once somebody emerges and offers to produce a release video. Maybe at some point automation could start to make sense. That is on how to add an entry from Release notes to a Release video in a seamless way. But still, likely in foreseeable future people will do that and not AI.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

Added the bezier curve tool and Yorik's 3-point arc tool. Could use an image for the 3-piont arc tool. I added a placeholder for the time being until it shows up in one of my FreeCAD builds or something. :)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Just a small comment about the Release notes page, the Additional Modules section should only list addons that are/have been actively developed during the 0.19 cycle. I know it's still early and the situation will evolve, but:

cadquery --> last commit December 29
Defeaturing wb --> last commit October 2018
Curves --> last commit March 7 (a few days before the 0.18 release)
Silk --> last commit Feb 2018 (full month before start of 0.19 development)
SQL --> ...
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

NormandC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:36 am Just a small comment about the Release notes page, the Additional Modules section should only list addons that are/have been actively developed during the 0.19 cycle. I know it's still early and the situation will evolve, but:

cadquery --> last commit December 29
Defeaturing wb --> last commit October 2018
Curves --> last commit March 7 (a few days before the 0.18 release)
Silk --> last commit Feb 2018 (full month before start of 0.19 development)
SQL --> ...
I think the Release notes page should mention WB that are full functional...
I don't see why we should remove i.e. Defeaturing WB only because its last commit was in October 2018, when this WB is still full functional even in Py3/Qt5 flavour.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

NormandC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:36 am Just a small comment about the Release notes page, the Additional Modules section should only list addons that are/have been actively developed during the 0.19 cycle
I see the point. Still I'm reluctant to exclude a community workbench for a lack of development within a single release cycle, especially if the workbench is new - it's a bit of exposure for them. As it is, this isn't a decision I'd care to make until 0.19 is released - and maybe it can be done all at once with a preliminary discussion here?

It's also a simple matter to do it - I can easily comment out the code without actually removing it if it seems like it's just on hiatus and not abandoned. I suggest we also do the same for the core workbenches, too.

Which brings me to another thought: A master list of community workbenches (active or otherwise) might not be a terrible idea, either. If only because it serves as a record of what has come and gone for a future developer who might want to know if what they have in mind has already been done.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

FreeCAD's StartPage has a list of available external workbenches.

Release notes are about what's new, not about what's working.

Cadquery has existed for years.

The wiki already has a list too. External Workbenches
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

NormandC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 am The wiki already has a list too. External Workbenches
Yikes. Looks like that needs updating, too.

easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

NormandC wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:39 am FreeCAD's StartPage has a list of available external workbenches.

Release notes are about what's new, not about what's working.
Defeaturing WB is quite new and depends on OCC 7.3 which are also quite new ...
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

easyw-fc wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:27 pm Defeaturing WB is quite new and depends on OCC 7.3 which are also quite new ...
but it cames during 0.18 cycle so it should be in 0.18 release notes.