Release notes for v0.19

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Release notes for v0.19

Post by vocx »

Joel_graff wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:16 am https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 4#p352694

Noting this here for the next time I update the notes....
vocx wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:02 am ...
I personally think this isn't a big issue, as it's just the release notes. The SVG templates were uploaded to the wiki directly from the TechDraw sources, so they should be fine. Displaying the templates looks weird, like it doesn't properly scale the fonts which I presume use unicode characters. I wouldn't worry too much.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Add GUI command to insert a text document into the active document git commit 13db5b05604694323
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm Add GUI command to insert a text document into the active document git commit 13db5b05604694323
Could you elaborate on how this is used? What is it's purpose? Genuinely interested...
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm Add GUI command to insert a text document into the active document git commit 13db5b05604694323
Also saw that in the commit list. Hope a font file will be accepted and hopefully can be used in ShapeString. :)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:00 pm Could you elaborate on how this is used? What is it's purpose? Genuinely interested...
Go to menu Tools -> Add text document.

The new object appears in the tree view. Double click it. Write stuff.

People have asked in the past for a mechanism to store information about the model. So this could be a place to document the model, for example, provide details on the materials or its construction.

You could almost do the same if you create a spreadsheet, or a TechDraw page with an arbitrary text block.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

openBrain wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:07 pm Also saw that in the commit list. Hope a font file will be accepted and hopefully can be used in ShapeString. :)
Create first the Std_TextDocument, add text. Then create the Draft ShapeString with a default font and text. Then you can set the string from the text document.

Code: Select all

import Draft

obj = App.ActiveDocument.addObject("App::TextDocument", "Text_document")
obj.Text = "Something something"
App.ActiveDocument.recompute()

obj2 = Draft.makeShapeString("Default", "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf", 10)
obj2.String = obj.Text
Or just provide the text as input for the ShapeString function.

Code: Select all

obj2 = Draft.makeShapeString(obj.Text, "/usr/share/fonts/truetype/dejavu/DejaVuSans.ttf", 10)
The graphical command of Draft ShapeString, that is, when you click the button, could be updated so that the task panel allows you to pick a previously created Std_TextDocument.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

vocx wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:49 pm
openBrain wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:07 pm Also saw that in the commit list. Hope a font file will be accepted and hopefully can be used in ShapeString. :)
Create first the Std_TextDocument, add text. Then create the Draft ShapeString with a default font and text. Then you can set the string from the text document.
Hmm. Maybe I wasn't totally clear, but when I say I hope a font file can be embedded, of course the goal is to use it as the font of a ShapeString, not as its text. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

TexhDraw New Arrow style:
wandererfan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:15 pm
lidiriel wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:17 pm in attachment a little patch concerning a new arrow style. It 's the first patch for integreted a new tool : GDT datum reference.
You can see arrow style in screen shot of my last build and the futur tool : gdt datum reference
merged - git commit ac680bf9b7 git commit 3c97d0b9e8 git commit 6d158ac1b8
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

openBrain wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:44 pm ...
Hmm. Maybe I wasn't totally clear, but when I say I hope a font file can be embedded, of course the goal is to use it as the font of a ShapeString, not as its text. ;)
You can already include arbitrary files inside the FreeCAD file as it's just a zip file (File Format FCStd).

PDF inside the project

Of course, this is a bit tricky. Font files are subject to copyright, so it may be illegal to distribute a font file for when the recipient doesn't have the license. For the wildly used PostScript fonts, and fonts used in the Linux world it shouldn't be a problem though.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

That's a really cool feature.

Glancing through the subsequent replies, it appears there may be a need for exploring how to better embed "mixed media" files into FreeCAD project files...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers