Improve support of high DPI displays

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: Improve support of high DPI displays

Post by uwestoehr »

BIM Bo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 am Says who? The Qt or the FreeCAD marketing department?
The forum is the marketing department :lol:

BIM Bo wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:33 am 4k 15.6" HiDPI Screen here. Starting the AppImage with no Qt sauce results in humongous "many things"
Without sauce it is like with asparagus - doable but not nice. :lol:

Jokes aside, what is your system? (please post the about dialog output). For Windows we could resolve the issue by this commit:
https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... f0ca2b5579
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

AppImage is only available on linux, isn't it?

But yeah, please post your Qt version and desktop environment. Is it GNOME/Gtk?
Qt has some platform plugins so experience may vary.
Also, screenshots would be nice
BIM Bo

Post by BIM Bo »

vanuan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 pm Please change your tone. I understand your annoyance. But it doesn't help.

It would be much more productive if you could describe the issue carefully, specify your scale factor in display settings and screenshots of how it looks compared to other GNOME apps. Also you didn't provide Qt version to make any claim on whether any environment variables required.
Please change your attitude. I understand your immediate self-defence mechanism (if the bug report is too painful, it must be the tone), but it doesn't help. Certainly not the project quality.

Not sure how I could describe even more carefully than I did, that any scale factor != (you understand "not equal" - yes?) 1 causes a hang.
I did provide which AppImage I am using - the AppImage provided by the project. AFAIK the Qt comes bundled with it? Yes? No?

Also not sure how I can provide screenshots when there is a hang and nothing to screenshot. For the humunguous "everything" without any scaling, I did provide screenshots already. Many months ago. (nothing changed there, so I assume I do not need to be repetitive there)

edit:

asumptions aside, here's the data.

* using "FreeCAD_weekly-builds-24789-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage"

* starting it via

Code: Select all

QT_SCALE_FACTOR=0.7 ./FreeCAD_weekly-builds-24789-Linux-Conda_glibc2.12-x86_64.AppImage
=> 100% CPU and hard hang.

Exhibit A: screenshots without said scale factor (hm - I couldn't screenshot the startup window/gfx. In general it's very tiny and the text is huuuuge)

The system has Qt 5.15.2
Attachments
FreeCAD_QT=1_2.png
FreeCAD_QT=1_2.png (103.47 KiB) Viewed 1705 times
FreeCAD_QT=1_3.png
FreeCAD_QT=1_3.png (70.75 KiB) Viewed 1707 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

BIM Bo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am
vanuan wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:48 pm Please change your tone. I understand your annoyance. But it doesn't help.

It would be much more productive if you could describe the issue carefully, specify your scale factor in display settings and screenshots of how it looks compared to other GNOME apps. Also you didn't provide Qt version to make any claim on whether any environment variables required.
Please change your attitude. ... (you understand "not equal" - yes?)
Please follow the code of conduct linked at the top of the Help forum and at least your own quality requirements concerning politeness.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
vanuan

Post by vanuan »

BIM Bo wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:28 am
asumptions aside, here's the data.
What's the scale factor in you GNOME display settings? Do you use GNOME?
Go to Settings > Devices > Displays > Scale
Change it between 100% and 200% to see if it has any effect on the font size.