AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Post by looo »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm is it possible to have a direct link to download and test the latest?
Both 0.19 and 0.18_stable should have the fix included:
0.18.1: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... e.AppImage
0.19: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... 4.AppImage

I guess these links are broken once the next iteration is done.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

looo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:21 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:48 pm is it possible to have a direct link to download and test the latest?
Both 0.19 and 0.18_stable should have the fix included:
0.18.1: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... e.AppImage
0.19: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... 4.AppImage

I guess these links are broken once the next iteration is done.
But in which way I would know i.e. if FreeCAD_0.18_stable.AppImage has changed?
both the AppImages have the same errors atm.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

looo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:58 pm thanks @ triplus for repairing the automatic upload of appimages! This definitely deserve some beer.
Thanks. Note that today i started debugging the upload script a bit. To see on why we can't deploy to 0.18.1 ATM. Hopefully in a day or two i will have something to share. After i can try to help out with the remaining reported AppImage issues.
I will eventuelly switch to use git directly for getting the sources. It's not recommended by conda-forge, thats why I never used it (I guess because checksums should be used). The other way is to provide releases also on the freecad channel, which I already did for 0.18.1 and old toolchain.
And what is the version of glibc used in the new toolchain? I suspect it is not glibc 2.12 anymore? That could explain the issue i reported, regarding libstdc++.so.6 version, being i guess too old on Ubuntu 16.04.
If necessary we can switch the release back to the old toolchain which didn't had much issues with hard-coded paths.
So maybe it's possible to make release builds use conda-forge/label/cf201901 and freecad/label/dev_cf201901?
If my assumption above is correct, indeed. And lets worry about the new toolchain once Qt of greater version will be made available on Conda. As it will likely require newer version of glibc anyway (QtWebEngine). But then the benefits, of having newer Qt, should outweigh the cons.

P.S. Lets use the same toolchain and settings you have used during 0.18_pre. Fixing the FreeCAD 0.18.1 version info would be nice. This two things alone should improve things already. Go ahead and make the needed changes in AppImage repo in the following days. Note that the GTK2 workaround didn't fix the theming issue on my side for now, testing the latest AppImage.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

triplus wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:07 pm And what is the version of glibc used in the new toolchain? I suspect it is not glibc 2.12 anymore? That could explain the issue i reported, regarding libstdc++.so.6 version, being i guess too old on Ubuntu 16.04.
I think this hasn't changed. conda-forge still uses the same docker container (centos-6 based).
https://github.com/conda-forge/docker-i ... kerfile#L1
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:49 pm But in which way I would know i.e. if FreeCAD_0.18_stable.AppImage has changed?
both the AppImages have the same errors atm.
I guess there is currently no way to see if the build has changed.
What does same error mean? Performance issues? Can you give the procedure to reproduce these issues? Maybe this is not related to the appimage, but the new toolchain. If this is the case it should be reproduceable with conda-environment directly.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

looo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 pm I guess there is currently no way to see if the build has changed.
What does same error mean? Performance issues?
I have a big delay when launching my script. The script trigs many times the following error

Code: Select all

(FreeCAD:7348): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 21:48:09.160: Cannot open pixbuf loader module
and this should be the main culprit.
looo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:29 pm Can you give the procedure to reproduce these issues? Maybe this is not related to the appimage, but the new toolchain. If this is the case it should be reproduceable with conda-environment directly.
I will create a screencast to show it and to help in reproduce the issue.
At the same time I'm going to wait for the next Appimage build to see if this has been solved.
Thanks for your work on Conda :D
Maurice
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

easyw-fc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:30 am I have a big delay when launching my script. The script trigs many times the following error
strange. I thought this was solved with one of the previous commits. Stable is now back to old-toolchain and py36. Sorry for this up and down mess.

The documentation (f1) still doesn't work.

ps.: Does anyone know where the path to the qt-assistant (assistant) is set? Which library uses this binary?
All I get is this:

Unable to launch Qt Assistant (/home/travis/build/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppImage/conda/linux_stable/AppDir/usr/bin/assistant)
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

looo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:04 am Stable is now back to old-toolchain and py36.
Yes, this makes much sense, as it was extensively tested during the whole 0.18_pre cycle. Changing things like toolchain, just days before doing a release, that therefore turned out to be a bit problematic approach. For stable builds we should use the old toolchain for now. On daily builds we can experiment more.

I can confirm that on my side all reported issues, by me, are fixed now (FreeCAD 0.18 stable AppImage). I can take a look at the Qt Assistant situation in the following days. Regarding investigating deployment related issues, deploying to latest release, i believe i narrowed the issue down and this should get resolved shortly.

P.S. Anybody testing stable AppImage/macOS builds, make sure you always download the latest available stable AppImage/DMG, before doing the tests, as downloaded one is likely outdated already.
Last edited by triplus on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Reference (FreeCAD 0.19 AppImages using the new toolchain):

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p301747
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 93#p301767

P.S. Eventually we will need to understand the underlying issue better (libstdc++.so.6) and try to find a fix for it. For now fine tuning FreeCAD 0.18 AppImage experience is a priority.
leong

Post by leong »

I downloaded the stable AppImage today and When it opens, it opens on a blank page. I am running:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.18.16110 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.18.1)
Hash: f7dccfaa909e5b9da26bf50c4a22ccca9bb10c40
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
If I click on <View><Workbench><Start> the program crashes and gives the following

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
/tmp/.mount_FreeCAYT76bg/AppRun: line 11: 11789 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) ${HERE}/usr/bin/FreeCAD "$@"
I can open other Workbenches, but trying to open 'Star' crashes the program everytime and gives a segmentation fault and there is no further information
Thank you
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

leong wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:38 pm I can open other Workbenches, but trying to open 'Star' crashes the program everytime
What is "Star"?