AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: AppImages of v0.18 release builds

Post by easyw-fc »

I have a performance issue both on 0.18 and 0.19 Appimage with one of my WBs, when loading a curve and creating Sketches.
I need to investigate it a bit to reduce the problem to the real culprit...
It shouldn't be related to Qt5 or Py3 because FC 0.18.1 just runs smoothly...
I don't have any issue in Win also within the Conda builds...
EDIT: I also don't have issue with 0.17 Appimage

here my FC details
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.16398 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 847035cbd227d1f7554a494c3cfe5fa8942f2b7c
Python version: 3.7.1
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0

EDIT2
I tried to create a log file after expanding AppImage as following:

Code: Select all

FreeCAD_0.19_dev.AppImage  --appimage-extract
cd squashfs-root
./AppRun --log ./fclog.log
and I get this errors:
Gtk-Message: 21:36:43.971: Failed to load module "gail"
Gtk-Message: 21:36:43.972: Failed to load module "atk-bridge"
EDIT3
Running my scripts I get this error log:
(FreeCAD:7348): GdkPixbuf-WARNING **: 21:48:09.160: Cannot open pixbuf loader module file '/home/travis/build/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppImage/conda/linux/AppDir/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache': No such file or directory

This likely means that your installation is broken.
Try running the command
gdk-pixbuf-query-loaders > /home/travis/build/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppImage/conda/linux/AppDir/usr/lib/gdk-pixbuf-2.0/2.10.0/loaders.cache
to make things work again for the time being.
EDIT4
I don't get any of the above messages on FreeCAD-0.17.13541.9948ee4.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Hmm, I am not sure if these issues have impact on performance... @easyw-fc can you test in a conda-env with python3.7?

Maybe we can change some absolute-path to relative-paths using these instructions:
https://docs.appimage.org/packaging-gui ... oded-paths

This should solve some of the reported issues.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

easyw-fc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:16 pm EDIT3
Running my scripts I get this error log:
Same error as I reported above.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

looo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:52 pm Hmm, I am not sure if these issues have impact on performance...
as @NormandC reported
NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:07 pm Same error as I reported above.
NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:53 pm Confirmed on Ubuntu 18.04/GNOME.

Here's a more detailed output at launch. I also notice it takes a longer time to load the splash screen.
the performance issue could be related to the fact that during loading my script trigs many warning messages that could slow down the all process.
GdkPixbuf-WARNING **:
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

easyw-fc wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:09 pm the performance issue could be related to the fact that during loading my script trigs many warning messages that could slow down the all process.
Ok then we should definitely try to solve this problem. So 2 things should be done in the appimage creation:
1. Browse all files and replace all occurrences of absolute paths with relative. I guess we were simple lucky to not have to deal with such problems until now.
2. Add the gtk-variable at the initialization script

As a backup solution we can still use the old toolchain.
doubters

Post by doubters »

I created a separate topic with a similar problem: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35647, but it turned out that I had to write here. Under the link you can see errors and screenshots.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

By setting the PREFIX variable in the APPRUN script the Pixbuf warning should be gone. Also the theme should look a bit better.
I made the experience that the first time running the appimage will need some time. I guess this is because matplotlib does any font-specific task. At least we have seen this already with some previous versions of the appimage.

Another problem seems to be the freecad.plot / freecad.ship libraries installed during the appimage creation. It's not possible to overwrite these modules by development packages. I guess it's better to not install these modules by default, so I will remove them for the next iteration.
doubters

Post by doubters »

looo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:54 pm By setting the PREFIX variable in the APPRUN script the Pixbuf warning should be gone.
Tell me, what kind of variable?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

doubters wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:04 pm Tell me, what kind of variable?
is included in the latest appimages. This one here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... 7e2c5047c3

Btw.: I don't know how to fix the failing gtk modules. I see these warnings for a long time and as this is only about GUI I normally don't care much about it. With conda I am pretty used to ugly GUI. It changes from time to time. But if it is too ugly I simple switch to a custom theme of FreeCAD.

In my eyes it's more important to fix the functionality-issues first. So it would be nice to know if there are still performance issues with the latest appimages.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

looo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:13 pm In my eyes it's more important to fix the functionality-issues first. So it would be nice to know if there are still performance issues with the latest appimages.
is it possible to have a direct link to download and test the latest?