Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
User avatar
kkremitzki
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby kkremitzki » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm

I can see it. The packaging machinery (uscan) I use for Debian and the PPA will require the tag to be created first, though.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
User avatar
kkremitzki
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby kkremitzki » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm

uwestoehr wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm
kkremitzki wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm
Should we tag 0.18.3 yet?
I vote for yes.

I also have 2 proposals:
* to release every 2 months a point release (bugfixes only)
* we nominate someone as "backport manager".

Why a 2 month rhythm?: There were even crash bugs fixed but also other already fixed bugs are annoying for users and since there is already a fix, we can deliver it to the users.

Why a "backport manager"?: To consequently backport all bugfixes there should be somebody, if possible a developer with commit rights. He checks once a week the commits on what has been fixed. If something could be backported he nominates this in this forum section. If necessary this can be discussed and the bugfix authors can do the backport, or he does the backport directly in straight forward cases.
I don't think we need anything so regimented, but I do think more coordination is needed. Once we make this tag, I'll make a post explaining my process for updating the Debian packaging and the PPA so that others could take care of it if I wasn't available. It would be good to have similar resources for other platforms.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
User avatar
sgrogan
Posts: 5201
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby sgrogan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:12 pm

kkremitzki wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm
I can see it. The packaging machinery (uscan) I use for Debian and the PPA will require the tag to be created first, though.
The tag is "created" just not published, may be the same thing for you. I'll wait for looo, if he has the same problem, we will just have to publish it and live with under construction.
With some sort of GITHUB token we may be able to publish to the Draft with Travis.
User avatar
sgrogan
Posts: 5201
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby sgrogan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 pm

kkremitzki wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm
I don't think we need anything so regimented, but I do think more coordination is needed. Once we make this tag, I'll make a post explaining my process for updating the Debian packaging and the PPA so that others could take care of it if I wasn't available. It would be good to have similar resources for other platforms.
+1
yorik and wmayer do a great job determining the commits to backport. The packagers need to overcome this issue https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=37081
User avatar
uwestoehr
Posts: 587
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:21 am

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby uwestoehr » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:22 pm

sgrogan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 pm
+1
yorik and wmayer do a great job determining the commits to backport.
Yes, the do great work. But maybe someone could help them. I guess they won't say no to some help in this respect for the gain of some time for other things they do.

However, it was just an idea from the other projects I contributed to because there it helped that one person was the organizer for backports.
User avatar
sgrogan
Posts: 5201
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby sgrogan » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:56 pm

uwestoehr wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:22 pm
However, it was just an idea from the other projects I contributed to because there it helped that one person was the organizer for backports.
No worries,I think the opportunity for improvement is on the distribution side. Your work on the Win installer has made it easier. The "assets" come from a bunch of different places, so it's difficult to coordinate. We'll get there :)
User avatar
kkremitzki
Posts: 1642
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby kkremitzki » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Once the tag is published, updating the Debian & PPA packages is maybe 10 minutes of work, so no need to rush things on my account. I stand ready!
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
looo
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby looo » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:52 am

sgrogan wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:01 pm
@looo and @kkremitzki, can you see this https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... 22eec954f2?
No I only see a page "which is not the webpage I am not looking for".
User avatar
sgrogan
Posts: 5201
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby sgrogan » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 pm

looo wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:52 am
No I only see a page "which is not the webpage I am not looking for".
Thanks!
I published the release https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18.3
I'll try to get Win assets deployed ASAP, but it will be at least tomorrow my time.

An unfortunate by-product is that the assets tab for 0.18.2 is collapsed because it is now longer "latest"
looo
Posts: 2655
Joined: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:29 pm

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Postby looo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:50 pm

Thanks, I updated the 0.18 package which is available from conda-forge. Now the question is if we should go with the old (qt5.6) deps or if we should switch to new (qt5.9) deps. On osx qt5.9 is working better. Anyway we need to update the appimage script to upload to the correct release.
triplus wrote: mastermind wanted!