Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Back port commits to 0.18 branch

Post by kkremitzki »

I can see it. The packaging machinery (uscan) I use for Debian and the PPA will require the tag to be created first, though.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:56 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:37 pm Should we tag 0.18.3 yet?
I vote for yes.

I also have 2 proposals:
* to release every 2 months a point release (bugfixes only)
* we nominate someone as "backport manager".

Why a 2 month rhythm?: There were even crash bugs fixed but also other already fixed bugs are annoying for users and since there is already a fix, we can deliver it to the users.

Why a "backport manager"?: To consequently backport all bugfixes there should be somebody, if possible a developer with commit rights. He checks once a week the commits on what has been fixed. If something could be backported he nominates this in this forum section. If necessary this can be discussed and the bugfix authors can do the backport, or he does the backport directly in straight forward cases.
I don't think we need anything so regimented, but I do think more coordination is needed. Once we make this tag, I'll make a post explaining my process for updating the Debian packaging and the PPA so that others could take care of it if I wasn't available. It would be good to have similar resources for other platforms.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:07 pm I can see it. The packaging machinery (uscan) I use for Debian and the PPA will require the tag to be created first, though.
The tag is "created" just not published, may be the same thing for you. I'll wait for looo, if he has the same problem, we will just have to publish it and live with under construction.
With some sort of GITHUB token we may be able to publish to the Draft with Travis.
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 pm I don't think we need anything so regimented, but I do think more coordination is needed. Once we make this tag, I'll make a post explaining my process for updating the Debian packaging and the PPA so that others could take care of it if I wasn't available. It would be good to have similar resources for other platforms.
+1
yorik and wmayer do a great job determining the commits to backport. The packagers need to overcome this issue https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=37081
"fight the good fight"
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 pm +1
yorik and wmayer do a great job determining the commits to backport.
Yes, the do great work. But maybe someone could help them. I guess they won't say no to some help in this respect for the gain of some time for other things they do.

However, it was just an idea from the other projects I contributed to because there it helped that one person was the organizer for backports.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:22 pm However, it was just an idea from the other projects I contributed to because there it helped that one person was the organizer for backports.
No worries,I think the opportunity for improvement is on the distribution side. Your work on the Win installer has made it easier. The "assets" come from a bunch of different places, so it's difficult to coordinate. We'll get there :)
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Once the tag is published, updating the Debian & PPA packages is maybe 10 minutes of work, so no need to rush things on my account. I stand ready!
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:01 pm @looo and @kkremitzki, can you see this https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... 22eec954f2?
No I only see a page "which is not the webpage I am not looking for".
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:52 am No I only see a page "which is not the webpage I am not looking for".
Thanks!
I published the release https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.18.3
I'll try to get Win assets deployed ASAP, but it will be at least tomorrow my time.

An unfortunate by-product is that the assets tab for 0.18.2 is collapsed because it is now longer "latest"
"fight the good fight"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

Thanks, I updated the 0.18 package which is available from conda-forge. Now the question is if we should go with the old (qt5.6) deps or if we should switch to new (qt5.9) deps. On osx qt5.9 is working better. Anyway we need to update the appimage script to upload to the correct release.
triplus wrote: mastermind wanted!