Measurements Framework?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: Measurements Framework?

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi tanderson69
its good to see you working on this, it is an important feature.

I tried to follow the link you have posted above to your svg on Ubuntu one but it just takes me to a log in screen and not the file.

It seems Ubuntu expects you to log in just to view the file....is that always the case or perhaps you have to allow public viewing of the file or some such thing?

Jim
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

Sorry, When I tested the link I was still logged in, so it worked. Once I made the file public, the server wants to serve up a web page with the picture instead of downloading a file. Of course half of the information is missing in the picture(might have custom inkscape data). So I cheated the file name and it appears to be working with this link:
http://ubuntuone.com/4wPHES0xT034ni5AiyzclJ
Of course you will need to remove the fake extension from the file. I use ubuntu one about once a year so I am clumsy.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Very nice plan, I liked it much! What about adding a "convert to Draft dim" option to the context menu? ;)
I also agree with reducing the number of toolbar icons... Or put them in a separate toolbar that is not absolutely indispensable, so users can switch it off most of the time.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

yorik wrote:Or put them in a separate toolbar that is not absolutely indispensable, so users can switch it off most of the time.
Right now I am leaning on having 4 toolbar buttons: measure distance, measure angle, toggle all dimensions off, clear all dimensions. 4 still seems like too many, but I want to be able to measure fast, without a lot of clicks.
yorik wrote:What about adding a "convert to Draft dim" option to the context menu? ;)
You just had to be the first to ask didn't you?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

tanderson69 wrote:Right now I am leaning on having 4 toolbar buttons: measure distance, measure angle, toggle all dimensions off, clear all dimensions. 4 still seems like too many, but I want to be able to measure fast, without a lot of clicks.
You could also have some items appear in a menu, so they can get a shortcut key, but not on the toolbar...
tanderson69 wrote:You just had to be the first to ask didn't you?
Well...
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

yorik wrote:You could also have some items appear in a menu, so they can get a shortcut key, but not on the toolbar...
That is a good idea, could wire it up to my spaceball also. I guess I should stop worring about it as people will have the commands out they use.
yorik wrote:Well...
I am afraid to answer. The only python I know is from swearing at the freecad console. :D
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

tanderson69 wrote:I am afraid to answer. The only python I know is from swearing at the freecad console. :D
Really! Two of my daughters went to the zoo and patted one! :)

The funny thing is they have decided now that they like snakes, they think they are "cute", their word, not mine. This is a worry when you consider Australia has 8 of the world's 10 most deadly land snakes! So I said to all my girls "yes, but you know that was a Python and most snakes are not and are deadly, so if you see one, you know you must leave it alone and tell an adult" Their response was "Oh yeah daddy we know that, we know most of them would kill you, but they are still really cute, particularly the tiger snake...because he's got pretty stripes".

I had a brown snake in my back yard a few months back....it actually attacked the RUNNING lawnmower! They are one of the most deadly partly because of their venom and partly because of their personality ...or lack there of...depending on your perspective! :)

Whoops! Heading off topic....

Jim
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

tanderson69 wrote:I am afraid to answer. The only python I know is from swearing at the freecad console. :D
I can add such "convert to draft dim" functionality later too... No real need to think about it now actually.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

yorik wrote:I can add such "convert to draft dim" functionality later too... No real need to think about it now actually.
I have had that thought also. Right now these dimensions exist only in coin. I am not sure what it will take to get them into the selection mechanism. I am reserving the right to skip the selection and that menu. ;)
peepsalot

Post by peepsalot »

I made some measurement helper scripts a couple years ago to help me with "reverse engineering" some imported meshes(mostly reprap parts). They are pretty basic and not really integrated into the GUI, but I figured I'd post a link in case it helps with getting some ideas at all viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1965

Not sure if this is considered in the scope of what you're trying to do, but I would love to see something like the radius calculator as a toolbar tool; just haven't had much time lately to work on these things.