Add ons manager - development and bugs topic

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
galou_breizh

Re: Add ons manager - development and bugs topic

Post by galou_breizh »

zacl wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:02 am By the way, have you any will/idea/request for this module?
[*]Show the available and installed version numbers (both for workbenches and macros)
[*]Show whether the macro originate from the github macro repository or the wiki

Thanks a lot for your efforts!
Gaël
stanicke

Post by stanicke »

Sometime ago, I thought about the following improvements:

1. It would be great if the list of the addons would be as a table with columns:
- Package
- Version Installed
- Version Available
- Day of the last update

1.1. Maybe it would be useful if the columns are sortable and filterable

2. It would be good if the addon detail would be shown in normal HTML view as one tab in FreeCAD and the list of addons would be as a tab in sidebar (e.g. as in VSCode, see https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/edit ... on-gallery, MikTeX package manager: https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions ... ing/253946 etc.)
zacl

Post by zacl »

galou_breizh wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:41 am [*]Show the available and installed version numbers (both for workbenches and macros)
[*]Show whether the macro originate from the github macro repository or the wiki
For version numbers of workbench, I guess Kunda1 have already made a lot of usefull work. I think I could exploit it. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/2605
For the origin of macro, is it to know where it will be download or where the installed one come from?
stanicke wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:25 pm 1. It would be great if the list of the addons would be as a table with columns
1.1. Maybe it would be useful if the columns are sortable and filterable
It may be done with table. I often work with pandas to easily manage table but it is a heavy module. Sorting, research and display are easy to do with panda.
stanicke wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:25 pm 2. It would be good if the addon detail would be shown in normal HTML view as one tab in FreeCAD and the list of addons would be as a tab in sidebar
It is the way 0.19 Addon Manager is already made. It is just old fashioned in comparaison to your exemple. Are you on 0.18?
For info, Addon details are stored in markdown file (githubsite/readme.md) and need to be converted to be displayed. No direct HTML view is possible. Sometimes the display is not good because markdown format is not respected.
Do you want the 0.19 Addon Manager to have a graphical upgrade or new functionnality?
stanicke

Post by stanicke »

stanicke wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:25 pm 2. It would be good if the addon detail would be shown in normal HTML view as one tab in FreeCAD and the list of addons would be as a tab in sidebar
It is the way 0.19 Addon Manager is already made. It is just old fashioned in comparaison to your exemple. Are you on 0.18?
For info, Addon details are stored in markdown file (githubsite/readme.md) and need to be converted to be displayed. No direct HTML view is possible. Sometimes the display is not good because markdown format is not respected.
Do you want the 0.19 Addon Manager to have a graphical upgrade or new functionnality?
ad 2. I was suggesting if the addon manager would be another panel (similar as ComboView, TreeView, Report View etc) instead of a panel in a modal dialog window (as currently in 0.19) and then the addon detail would be shown as another tab in freecad main window (in order to gain a bigger size for the detail). So a similar concept as the example with VSCode that I have sent. But anyway, that is a detail for UX, the important thing is point no.1, because it enables easily to see the following 2 important things without clicking through all the addon details

1. to see to which version the installed addons are updatable
2. to see what is the last update of addons, because it is interesting to try new (not yet installed) addons that have been recently changed, while not the ones that are years old.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Hi! Can gitpython be included with freecad for windows? I have no idea how to install it there (and I doubt I'm the only one) and without it it can't automatically check for updates.

Maybe it's reasonable to include it in the appimages too?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@zacl thanks so much for leaning in and contributing. I think we need to work on backend functionality before we change GUI stuff. I mean, if you want to tackle GUI simultaneously, that's cool. But make sure to pace yourself and the expectations of the community.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm Hi! Can gitpython be included with freecad for windows? I have no idea how to install it there (and I doubt I'm the only one) and without it it can't automatically check for updates.
git-python is included in all the Win bundles. The git.exe must also be present on the users system. git.exe is not in the bundle. The installer is available here: https://git-scm.com/downloads, allow the installer to add git.exe to PATH (I don't remember if this is the default or not)
"fight the good fight"
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

sgrogan wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 pm
adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:40 pm Hi! Can gitpython be included with freecad for windows? I have no idea how to install it there (and I doubt I'm the only one) and without it it can't automatically check for updates.
git-python is included in all the Win bundles. The git.exe must also be present on the users system. git.exe is not in the bundle. The installer is available here: https://git-scm.com/downloads, allow the installer to add git.exe to PATH (I don't remember if this is the default or not)
Thanks! Didn't know that, maybe it should be mentioned somewhere?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:37 pm Thanks! Didn't know that, maybe it should be mentioned somewhere?
Any suggestions?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:33 pm
adrianinsaval wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 3:37 pm Thanks! Didn't know that, maybe it should be mentioned somewhere?
Any suggestions?
Maybe changing
GitPython not found. Using standard download instead.
To:
Git or GitPython not found. Using standard download instead.
In report view when downloading/updating a workbench could help.

Maybe it should say it needs Git instead of GitPython in the configure window of the addon manager, at least in windows.