Add ons manager - development and bugs topic

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
mnesarco

Re: Add ons manager - development and bugs topic

Postby mnesarco » Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 am

Hi Friends,

I am still working on this topic, here is a progress preview to keep you updated:

phpBB [video]

The GUI is only the tip of the iceberg, lot of interesting things under de hood.
carlopav

Postby carlopav » Sat May 16, 2020 7:15 am

Wow! that's super cool!! Bravo!
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Sat May 16, 2020 12:32 pm

mnesarco wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 am
The GUI is only the tip of the iceberg, lot of interesting things under de hood.
wut?!? This is awesome!!!
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Sat May 16, 2020 2:01 pm

This looks very good.
Have you maintained a zip fallback if git is not available?
I'm excited to test!
mnesarco

Postby mnesarco » Sat May 16, 2020 2:44 pm

sgrogan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:01 pm
Have you maintained a zip fallback if git is not available?
Yes!! And the "package source" protocol is plugable. So we can add new sources/formats in the future.

Currently I have:
  1. Git repository with submodules
  2. Github (Extends Git) with Html Readme (FreeCAD-Addons)
  3. Git with plain macros in folders (FreeCAD-Macros)
  4. Zip over http/https (Direct or fallback from github)
  5. Macros on wikimedia (wiki.freecadweb.org/Macros_recipes)
sgrogan wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:01 pm
I'm excited to test!
Few days more before the first alpha :D .
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Sat May 16, 2020 2:49 pm

mnesarco wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:44 pm
Few days more before the first alpha :D .
:ugeek:
vocx

Postby vocx » Sat May 16, 2020 4:42 pm

mnesarco wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 6:24 am
Looks good. Syres mentioned that he wanted to add a new option to the current Addon Manager to display a banner if a macro or workbench is made for Python 2 only. That is, the workbench would be in some sort of list, so it would display a "Python 2 only tag" or something like that. Can you add that as well?

Another thing, currently it seems you have your extension set up as a workbench, so it can be opened from the workbench selector. I think this is fine for testing, but I think the final version should be opened from the Tools menu, just like the current Addon Manager. What is your intention?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
mnesarco

Postby mnesarco » Sat May 16, 2020 4:57 pm

vocx wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:42 pm
Looks good. Syres mentioned that he wanted to add a new option to the current Addon Manager to display a banner if a macro or workbench is made for Python 2 only. That is, the workbench would be in some sort of list, so it would display a "Python 2 only tag" or something like that. Can you add that as well?
Yes!
But in this Extension Manager I do not support python2. So I will add the badge to the packages marked as python2 only and alert the user if they decide to install anyway.

Actually there are 3 special lists taken into account:

* python2 only
* obsolete/deprecated
* blacklisted

vocx wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:42 pm
Another thing, currently it seems you have your extension set up as a workbench, so it can be opened from the workbench selector. I think this is fine for testing, but I think the final version should be opened from the Tools menu, just like the current Addon Manager. What is your intention?
I made it like a workbench for testing, and because I don't know yet if this extension will be accepted by the FreeCAD team as a replacement for the current AddonManager. The intention is to provide it as a workbench during alpha phase. Later it will change depending on FreeCAD's community acceptance.
vocx

Postby vocx » Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 pm

mnesarco wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 4:57 pm
But in this Extension Manager I do not support python2. So I will add the badge to the packages marked as python2 only and alert the user if they decide to install anyway.
If the workbench is able to be installed then it means it's supported. That's all the support it needs. Alerting the user about Python 2 code is a good idea.
...and because I don't know yet if this extension will be accepted by the FreeCAD team as a replacement for the current AddonManager...
Almost anything is better than the current solution which was developed in a quick and dirty way, so I doubt that your manager will be rejected if it's clearly superior, just make sure your code is LGPL2.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: paypal.
mnesarco

Postby mnesarco » Sat May 16, 2020 5:14 pm

vocx wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 pm
Almost anything is better than the current solution which was developed in a quick and dirty way, so I doubt that your manager will be rejected if it's clearly superior
Great.

vocx wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 5:06 pm
just make sure your code is LGPL2.
All the code is GPL3, is this a problem? I can change to LGPL because it is all written by me.
I prefer GPLv3 over LGPL2/3 in this scenario because it is not a library reusable outside of FreeCAD, but it won't be a problem to change to LGPL if required.