Py2ectomy

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Py2ectomy

Post by kkremitzki »

According to https://pythonclock.org/ we have about 4 months of Python 2 left, so it may be time to start talking about cutting Python 2 out of FreeCAD since 0.19 will almost surely be released after Python 2 end of life. The idea is that anyone who still needs Python 2 support could use 0.18.x.

This would in effect mean switching to Py3/Qt5 as a default and removing code targetting Qt 4 and Python 2, turning off the Daily PPA's Python 2 builds, and uploading a Python 3 only 0.19~pre package to Debian Experimental. (Can't upload to Unstable because then we wouldn't have a stable release in Ubuntu 19.10 and possibly 20.04 LTS if we don't release 0.19 in time.)

Thoughts?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Re: Py2ectomy

Post by DeepSOIC »

Qt4 is still quite a bit more stable for 3d rendering. If we can't easily make Py3+Qt4 combo, I think the support of Py2 should be continued for a while.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Ah, that's a good point. Python 3 + Qt 4 support might not be that difficult but I hadn't expected there to be any demand. Putting in the effort to try to get that working almost seems worth it though to move forward with Python 3 only. I wouldn't mind trying to get that working for the Debian family stuff, but I am curious what some of the other packagers and developers might think.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

kkremitzki wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:16 pm I wouldn't mind trying to get that working for the Debian family stuff, but I am curious what some of the other packagers and developers might think.
Qt4 is only partially supported in conda-forge (no webkit, older deps) so some work would be necessary to create a qt4/py3 package. (Locally I have one qt4/py3 build installed, but this is quite old.)
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

looo wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:30 pm ...I have one qt4/py3 build installed...
That's very good news to me, as I was under impression that Qt4+Py3 is almost impossible. I would love to see Py2 go away, because I can't use most of the nice features of Py3 due to the requirement of supporting Py2 in my workbenches.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

At least from the Debian side, it should be easier now since the newest Pivy is packaged. At best it will be a change of dependencies in the SoQt and Pivy packages' debian/control files and a change of build flags in debian/rules, plus rebuilding them, and it may even be a matter of simply rebuilding Pivy and using the old Coin/SoQt packages. (Although this would cause the libexpat SVG bug to re-appear.)
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

:x
kkremitzki wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:15 pm At least from the Debian side, it should be easier now since the newest Pivy is packaged. At best it will be a change of dependencies in the SoQt and Pivy packages' debian/control files and a change of build flags in debian/rules, plus rebuilding them, and it may even be a matter of simply rebuilding Pivy and using the old Coin/SoQt packages. (Although this would cause the libexpat SVG bug to re-appear.)

Never expect something to be easy in packaging world :D But it would be very nice if you can achieve a qt4/py3 package for debian/ubuntu. Btw.: If you can somehow split the soqt-dependent part of pivy it's not mandatory to rebuild pivy and using latest coin should be possible.

Regarding conda:
I guess a little bit of work is needed to get it done, but looks like it is at least possible to get consistent packages (using occt7.2):
linux: https://circleci.com/gh/looooo/freecad- ... build-link
windows: https://ci.appveyor.com/project/looooo/ ... s/26630807
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

At the moment maintaining py2 support doesn't cost us much, outside packaging of course.

I think we should maintain it as long as it's not unpractical for us, I'm sure there are dozens of users on old distros out there, and when a software says "from now on we drop support of XX or YY" it's always a bitter news... And we care for people on old distros, dont we :)

I think we can progressively stop providing py2 packages. Then the use of py2 FreeCAD will progressively reduce, then the problem will become less and less important...
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

qt4.8 vs qt5.9 vs qt5.12:
https://vimeo.com/353533116

qt4 wins. Any ideas why qt5 is slower?