What is the deal with pivy?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
iplayfast

Re: What is the deal with pivy?

Post by iplayfast »

iplayfast wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:16 am So I've tried using synaptic complete removal of pivy.so and soqt.so, and even went so far as to remove the directories

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages$ sudo rm -rf pivy
I then in the pivy/build directory did

cmake ..
make 
sudo make install
and it seemed to install to Installing: /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/pivy/
On running freecad (after making it)

reeCAD: /home/chris/github/freecad-source/src/Mod/Part/Gui/TaskDimension.cpp:1343: static void PartGui::ArcEngine::initClass(): Assertion `SoEngine::getClassTypeId() != SoType::badType()' failed.
/home/chris/bin/freecad: line 2: 89991 Aborted                 (core dumped) bin/FreeCAD
I've tried recompiling fresh from @realthunder's coin, and fresh from the original coin3d coin.
In every case I'm getting the same crash.

so I'm obviously missing a step here.

I'm sorry to be such a newb, but how would you take a fresh linux install, and build freecad from source? I can't seem to do it anymore.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what version of pivy are you compiling? minimum version for python 3.10 is 0.6.8
iplayfast

Post by iplayfast »

I've tried latest from https://github.com/coin3d/pivy as well as installing latest coin from there, and also realthunder's coin (which I believe was the start of my problems).

I've also tried using latest from apt-get (python3-pivy) which is 0.6.5-1build6.
dpward

Post by dpward »

iplayfast wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 6:47 pm I've also tried using latest from apt-get (python3-pivy) which is 0.6.5-1build6.
A fixed package has been released in Ubuntu 22.04. Please try pivy 0.6.5-1ubuntu0.22.04.1.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/2000840
iplayfast

Post by iplayfast »

I have been able to compile it recently (using github versions of pivy and coin), so I'm not inclined to potentially break it again.
graphicsRat

Post by graphicsRat »

iplayfast wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:57 pm I have been able to compile it recently (using github versions of pivy and coin), so I'm not inclined to potentially break it again.
Would you be so kind as to guide me on how to compile pivy for Ubuntu 22.04. I too am having lots of difficulty. I've spent days on it already. Thanks.