dot in filename issue with new backup policy

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: dot in filename issue with new backup policy

Post by uwestoehr »

plgarcia wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:11 pm
That is why I would propose to add the date in the extension.
project.202003-182325-FCBak
or
project.FCBak-202003-182325
No way. This violates the extension rules of Windows. Then we would pollute the Windows registry with file extensions. Of course then the anti-malware programs would block this sooner or later.

So you can do whatever you like as long as there is only one fixed extension ".FCBak"
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

Are we really certain the 2 dots in the name cause problem. I never had such problems and I have been using many protection softwarein my life.
I did not find on the web messages that double extension in files lead to misbehavior of anti-virus.
I am not certain it is a problem.

But this is used by some virus to let think that an armful program is a text file, image or video.

I believe Windows default behavior to hide the known extension is a bad thing because it does not let the user to know the exact extension of the file and its manipulation becomes difficult.

I always change this in explorer via tools/folder options/ and untick the line hide extension of known file types.
That is my advise to everybody, and what I apply on any PC I am ask to repair.
Yes, one of my pain, as some of you surely, is to be considered as Windows Hotline by the family and unskilled friends!

My windows is French so I do not known the exact English translation of windows menus and messages.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

plgarcia wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:41 am Are we really certain the 2 dots in the name cause problem.
Windows itself allows this but the default Windows setting is to hide file extensions. Thus some Windows users only see "Filename.20200315-215654". Some malware uses this effect to name a file e.g.:
"Invoice-2304.docx.exe"
The users only see
""Invoice-2304.docx"
click on it and in fact start a .exe file.
Therefore many anti-malware programs put filenames with 2 dots in their name in quarantine (or whatever they call it).
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

Yes I agree and that is why I modify the configuration of any PC to show all extensions.
But our files are not a malware right.
No anti-virus will discard such a file. right?
As long as FCBak file extension is unknown windows display both extensions. Right?

So where is the problem?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

plgarcia wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:53 pm But our files are not a malware right.
No anti-virus will discard such a file. right?
Not right. I thought I explained it properly: Anti-malware programs treat files with more than one dot as potentially problematic.

Please just remove the second dot and everything is fine.
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

Hello
Double extension causes problems when the second extension is program extension ie (.exe, .bat, .cmd, .msi, .dll and some others).
Therefore, I do not agree that this multiple extension represents a risk.
I just searched on my PC (with grepwin that is a more reliable tool that windows search) for file folowing the patern *.*.* including at least 2 extensions. I found tenths of thousands of such files, most in programs files and in windows folders, many with the exe last extension. Many are due to a version each element separated by a dot but not only. This concerns all type of files (dll, exe, html …)
Here is a list of some software that would not work any longer if an anti-malware would remove this kind of files:
- Cura
- Ant
- Maven
- Android Studio
- Blender
- Cmake
- DBeaver
- DbShema
- Gimp
- Git
- Glassfish
- Google Drive
- Internet Explorer (that would be really good news!)
- java
- KDevelop
- KiCad
- LibreOffice
- Microsoft Help
- Microsoft Silverlight (That would also be good news!)
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft VS Code
- PostgreSQL
- R
- Scilab
- Visual Studio
Is it necessary I continue this list?
I will add 2 others
- FreeCad
- Windows
Therefore, I do not agree that anti-malware could remove files on the only criteria its name has multiple extensions.

Just give me one real case this happens with one file and one anti-malware.

Regards
Pascal Garcia
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

plgarcia wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:45 am Therefore, I do not agree that this multiple extension represents a risk.
Sorry, this does not help. Anti-malware programs, like the one we have at work, have a problem with it. We might like it or not, it is a fact and many users will be affected by this. Point.

What is so problematic to replace the dot by a hyphen?

p.s. the anti-malware programs know LibreOffice etc. and except this. We cannot expect them to add FreeCAD to their whitelist soon.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

What about letting the user decide what custom characters they prefer ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:32 pm What about letting the user decide what custom characters they prefer ?
Guys, please. I opened this thread because the anti-malware system (or whatever they are running behind the scenes) at work make problem. I removed the second dot and it was fine.

So again, what is so problematic to replace the dot by another character? I accept everything except of the dot for the reasons I explained.

It is a bit of overkill to let the users decide what character this should be. But OK, if you like, implement this, but then don't use the dot as default character.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Just my two cents: what about using _? It wouldn't create problems with antivirus or with plgarcia's naming methods, using -- instead of a single - could be a solution too, or puting the date between {}. Many simple solutions exist, I agree that letting the user decide is overkill.