Helping to review pull requests

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Helping to review pull requests

Post by yorik »

Hi all,

I'd like to invite everyone interested, with some knowledge of FreeCAD and Python or C++ coding and who can compile FreeCAD themselves, to help reviewing FreeCAD pull requests at https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pulls . Anyone with a github account can review PRs. You only need to click a pull request, go to the "Files changed" tab, and press the green "Review changes" button.

If you have little time to spare, this can help greatly to speed up the PR approval process. Even if the code seems too complicated to you (it happens often to me :) ), if you are able to compile FreeCAD, just compiling the PR and running FreeCAD and shake it a bit just to test the proposed functionality or change and that everything still works fine, is extremely useful.

Specially some large pull requests, some of @realthunder for example, are complex and complicated to review, and beyond the scope of anyone, (except Werner of course), and in that case, the only way to assess if the code is safe to merge, is not by looking at the code but by compiling and testing. The more people willing to test and make a positive review, or indicate problems, the easier it is to assess and the faster we can merge them.

I would only ask, if you make a review, to not just press the "approve" or "reject" button, but also write why you do so, and explain just a bit what you did (you tested the code, or just read the code, etc) so other people interested in reviewing can know better
iyd2019

Re: Helping to review pull requests

Post by iyd2019 »

I would definitely pin this topic to be the first on the Developers corner 8-)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

iyd2019 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 4:37 pm I would definitely pin this topic to be the first on the Developers corner 8-)
Good idea. Done
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It seems, contrarily of my first post, that not just anyone is allowed to make a review.. One has to be in a group on the github project. I'll create a "reviewers" group. If you want to help making reviews and are unable to do so on github, send me your github username and I'll add you.
Sudhir5595

Post by Sudhir5595 »

I would like to contribute to the review pull requests. Pls, add me to the "reviewers" group. my GitHub ID - sudhir5595
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Sudhir5595 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm I would like to contribute to the review pull requests. Pls, add me to the "reviewers" group. my GitHub ID - sudhir5595
Can we expect machine learning in FreeCAD? Welcome on board! :D
I can't add you to the reviewers group, so you got to ait for someone else to do ti.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Sudhir5595 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:09 pm I would like to contribute to the review pull requests. Pls, add me to the "reviewers" group. my GitHub ID - sudhir5595
Done! You should see some pending invite somewhere...
Since you are the first member of that group, can you check if it works, if you are able to create reviews on pull requests?
fosselius

Post by fosselius »

add me, maidenone on github
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

fosselius wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:04 pm add me, maidenone on github
Done!
spanner888