Serious RANT !!!! Arrrgh

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Serious RANT !!!! Arrrgh

Post by vocx »

keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:41 pm ...
If the git commit 5c24b236f0: corrected the errors WHY is the value 0? Given it is 0 it is NOT fixed.
The original code used the ui and was written by Sebastian Hoogen and the code matched. Somebody changed it
The commit that I mentioned modified nothing related to this thread; I just mentioned it to point out that you are committing things to FreeCAD without fully understanding how things work. You cannot complain about others changing the code when you don't really understand what you are doing.

Like Werner and openBrain say, nobody ever changed that value; you certainly haven't, and nobody else did. I told you in the previous thread what to change and you didn't do it.

That's why my guess is that you are changing different things within the second OpenSCAD Workbench that you have in your system, and this is confusing you. You need to remove all installed workbenches and focus only on the main FreeCAD repository.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

vocx wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:58 pm
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:41 pm ...
If the git commit 5c24b236f0: corrected the errors WHY is the value 0? Given it is 0 it is NOT fixed.
The original code used the ui and was written by Sebastian Hoogen and the code matched. Somebody changed it
The commit that I mentioned modified nothing related to this thread; I just mentioned it to point out that you are committing things to FreeCAD without fully understanding how things work. You cannot complain about others changing the code when you don't really understand what you are doing.

Like Werner and openBrain say, nobody ever changed that value; you certainly haven't, and nobody else did. I told you in the previous thread what to change and you didn't do it.

That's why my guess is that you are changing different things within the second OpenSCAD Workbench that you have in your system, and this is confusing you. You need to remove all installed workbenches and focus only on the main FreeCAD repository.
The end result is me Ranting - is not helping resolve things for that I apologies. - Not good times at the moment, but nothing to do with FreeCAD

@vocx Please can you fix, I suggest a Default of 16
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

keithsloan52 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:05 am @vocx Please can you fix, I suggest a Default of 16
See git commit 4c1f029c2

The parameter useMaxFN is used in two functions in importCSG.py:
p_cylinder_action: here the default was not set so a value of 0 would be used. I changed it to the suggested value of 16
p_circle_action: here an explicit default of 50 is used. This is cumbersome because as soon as one opens the preferences dialog and presses OK the value of 16 would be used. I strongly recommend to either replace the 50 with 16 or use 50 as the default. Any comments?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

keithsloan52 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:05 am The end result is me Ranting - is not helping resolve things for that I apologies. - Not good times at the moment, but nothing to do with FreeCAD
:)

@vocx Please can you fix, I suggest a Default of 16
vocx said he/she has a PR ready so that's fine. If for some reason it's needed, I can also do it.
But my concern is : is '16' a good value for the community ? Not that I don't believe it's a good value for you. Do you know if there is someone we can ping to get a second opinion ?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

wmayer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:54 am
keithsloan52 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:05 am @vocx Please can you fix, I suggest a Default of 16
See git commit 4c1f029c2

The parameter useMaxFN is used in two functions in importCSG.py:
p_cylinder_action: here the default was not set so a value of 0 would be used. I changed it to the suggested value of 16
p_circle_action: here an explicit default of 50 is used. This is cumbersome because as soon as one opens the preferences dialog and presses OK the value of 16 would be used. I strongly recommend to either replace the 50 with 16 or use 50 as the default. Any comments?
I think they should both use 16 and the ui should be initially set to 16.

The point is if people want to create a six, eight, ten, twelve or sixteen sided polygon in OpenSCAD request, ImportCSG should not try and be helpful and change it into a circle, where as if programatically creating a polygon with more than 16 sides, then changing to a circle/cylinder should be helpful.

Think it would be good if somebody changed Cylinder and circle to

Code: Select all

fnmax = FreeCAD.ParamGet(\
        "User parameter:BaseApp/Preferences/Mod/OpenSCAD").\
        GetInt('useMaxFN',16)

And set the default in the preference ui to 16
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

git commit 828078379
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:41 pm There is a second OpenSCAD workbenchKeithSloan/OpenSCAD
There was talk of making OpenSCAD a separate workbench, BUT IT IS NOT ADDED To Add-on Manager. I do not mix the two, it is separate.
This mess should be stopped. Either we move the current wb in master to the new layout or we remove it and add yours to the add-ons.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

wmayer wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:53 am git commit 828078379
keithsloan52 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:41 pm There is a second OpenSCAD workbenchKeithSloan/OpenSCAD
There was talk of making OpenSCAD a separate workbench, BUT IT IS NOT ADDED To Add-on Manager. I do not mix the two, it is separate.
This mess should be stopped. Either we move the current wb in master to the new layout or we remove it and add yours to the add-ons.
Surely it is only a mess if I add it to the Add-on Manager, it just sits in my Github.

Anyway have changed it to private so other people don't get confuseed.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

whats stopping it from being added to the addon manager?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm whats stopping it from being added to the addon manager?
At least having the exact same name isn't a good idea. ;)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:19 pm whats stopping it from being added to the addon manager?
There was another discussion somewhere in the Open Discussion forum a few months ago. I think at that time somebody said that "OpenSCAD was widely used" and they preferred to have it in the main repository. And I think that's fair, however, personally I also don't see a lot of people caring about it.

Moreover, Werner mentioned that some functions of OpenSCAD are used by the Mesh Workbench because they are more robust (boolean operations maybe?); so to really move the OpenSCAD workbench outside the main repository, some of these issues need to be investigated in order to keep everything running without significant downtime.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.