Building problems on Ubuntu 20.04

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Wsk8

Building problems on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by Wsk8 »

Hello,
i tried building FC master on 20.04 for the first time, but ran into differnt problems.
First Pyside2 Tools were not found. I found this (already solved) ticket: https://tracker.freecadweb.org/view.php?id=4229
But i still had the exact problem. I found out, the fix is only apllied to Pyside >= 5.14, but my System has 5.12.8. So after changing the cmake file to look for 5.12, the configuration succeded.

Then i tried a multicore build, but it was always failing. With single core it is building.

Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT
After some time i get following error:

Code: Select all

[ 40%] Generating Material_rc.py
Unknown options: generator, compress-algo.
make[2]: *** [src/Mod/Material/CMakeFiles/Material.dir/build.make:90: src/Mod/Material/Material_rc.py] Fehler 1
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/Makefile2:3202: src/Mod/Material/CMakeFiles/Material.dir/all] Fehler 2
vocx
Veteran

Re: Building problems on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by vocx »

Wsk8 wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 1:24 pm But i still had the exact problem. I found out, the fix is only apllied to Pyside >= 5.14,...

Which exact version were you trying to compile?

There are various threads discussing the problems with compiling in Ubuntu 20.04, since this system was released in April 2020.

I can't point to one thread exactly, but one of the problems that I remember was that the binary to produce the resource files was renamed in a particular version of PySide, that is, pyside2-rcc was renamed to rcc5 or something like that. So, you had to do some tricks to make it compile, like using a symbolic link to match the name expected by the CMake configuration.

I also remember one solution that consisted in installing and using the tools from PyQt5, as opposed to PySide2, and this would work as well.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Wsk8

Re: Building problems on Ubuntu 20.04

Post by Wsk8 »

Which exact version were you trying to compile?
Yesterdays master branch.

I can't point to one thread exactly, but one of the problems that I remember was that the binary to produce the resource files was renamed in a particular version of PySide, that is, pyside2-rcc was renamed to rcc5 or something like that. So, you had to do some tricks to make it compile, like using a symbolic link to match the name expected by the CMake configuration.
Yeah, i linked the ticket to this problem. It it theoretically fixed, but only for Pyside 5.14. On 20.04 is still 5.12.x which has the same problem. I solved it by changing the version check.

This has nothing to do with the previous pyside problem. This occurs while compiling (after successful configuration).

I also remember one solution that consisted in installing and using the tools from PyQt5, as opposed to PySide2, and this would work as well.
Do you have a link?