BRepAdaptor_CompCurve::D1() parameter distribution??

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mfro

BRepAdaptor_CompCurve::D1() parameter distribution??

Post by mfro »

In this Post I was suggesting to extend the "Map Parameter" attachment (that only allows single curves right now) to also allow Wires (I have shown an animation in that post to show why).

I now implemented this and did some testing. It works.

Kind of.

If just BRepAdaptor_CompCurve::D1() would return parameter values that are evenly distributed along the wire. Which it doesn't:
RollerChain.png
RollerChain.png (68.95 KiB) Viewed 956 times
Anybody knows if this is a feature or am I doing something wrong. Or should I consider this a bug?
Cheers,
Markus
Chris_G
Veteran

Re: BRepAdaptor_CompCurve::D1() parameter distribution??

Post by Chris_G »

IMHO you must not assume any specific parametrisation.
This is not a bug. It is up to you to compute the right sequence of parameters to get your "constant speed" samples.

EDIT : GCPnts_UniformAbscissa may be useful
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

mfro wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:38 pmIf just BRepAdaptor_CompCurve::D1() would return parameter values that are evenly distributed along the wire. Which it doesn't:
It might. There are several constructors for BRepAdaptor_CompCurve. I searched freecads code base and the only BRepAdaptor_CompCurve constructor I found, was the constructor using the single parameter wire. So I can only guess that using another constructor and passing true for 'KnotByCurvilinearAbcissa' parameter would give you what you want. You can also specify the parametric range.
mfro

Post by mfro »

tanderson69 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:37 pm... So I can only guess that using another constructor and passing true for 'KnotByCurvilinearAbcissa' parameter would give you what you want...
Good guess, hit the spot, many thanks!

RollerChain.png
RollerChain.png (70.45 KiB) Viewed 858 times
Cheers,
Markus
mfro

Post by mfro »

Thanks to tanderson69, the roller chain can now be properly animated using plain Assembly 4 functionality and a little expression trickery (that probably needs revisiting to improve performance), no extra code needed.
Peek 2020-09-30 19-57.gif
Peek 2020-09-30 19-57.gif (455.87 KiB) Viewed 816 times
Could anybody offhand give some guidance on the FreeCAD pull/enhancement request process, please?
I don't want to collide with anything with my very first contribution...
Cheers,
Markus
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Checkout our wiki page called Source code management
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs