Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Re: Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Post by chennes »

Is the omission of the Qt DLLs in the Windows zips intentional? I think it would be better for downloaders if this was packed up with the stuff from windeployqt, but I guess that will make the file much larger.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
voskos

Post by voskos »

The zip is just the cmake install command. If its installed, then its packaged.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

OK, I'll see if there's something posted about it over in the packaging forum. Presumably we are not using windeployqt for a reason.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

It seems that Travis is gone since 2021-06-15. All PR have an odd checks status: Workflow runs completed with no jobs, and the checks on the master are gone.

Greetings
user1234
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Yes, the situation is as follows:

- They have freezed Travis-ci.org.
- We have just migrated to Travis-ci.org (Yorik did it, kudos go to him).
- We have 10k credits/month default as a private repo (in a couple of hours about 3.5k credits were already gone). They have kindly offered us 25k credits/month to support our OSS project. I have just asked this to be activated.
- Even with 25k credits, it won't go for a long time. I estimated between 1.5-3 million credits per month based on December 2020 usage for Linux+Windows. It is true that if our current plan does not support windows building, this number should be much lower (as Windows was requiring much more time to build than Linux).

We are currently monitoring the situation to see how it goes.

EDIT: I stand corrected, the plan does support Windows builds.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

The Travis pricing is extremely intransparent. But when i find the correct one, wtf?, that are 1800$/month. That would be ridiculous.
https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-t ... ew-billing

Greetings
user1234
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

user1234 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:18 pm The Travis pricing is extremely intransparent. But when i find the correct one, wtf?, that are 1800$/month. That would be ridiculous.
https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-t ... ew-billing

Greetings
user1234
When I click on "change plan" in the FreeCAD account in Travis, I get:

1 Concurrent plan, which is "apparently" just one concurrent job, unlimited builds for Linux, Windows and FreeBSD (not macOS, which must go via credits), $69/month.

2 concurrent $129/month.

5 concurrent $249/month.

This is NOT including macOS builds.

Honestly, I am grateful to TravisCI that they have supported us very well in the past. They are still nice to us in that they offered 25k credits for free. However, with 25k credits we cannot do even one week of CI. I have contacted them asking if it is possible for them to provide something closer to what we were getting before. I am waiting for their answer.

Temporarily, we might also disable building PRs, although building PRs is useful.

If Travis is not an option, then we may need to see what others offer, set up our own, or give up CI. We will probably see what other OSS projects are doing, such as Blender.
sww1235

Post by sww1235 »

Has anyone tested GitHub actions with FreeCAD? I have been impressed with it's ease of use. Only unfortunate thing is it doesn't support macos afaik.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

We have just been given additional 25k credits by Travis. They have asked me to reach back to them when the available credits gets low again. They indicated that they are still committed to support the OSS community.

So we not having an outage of PR building (as we had this week) depends in part on me notifying them "in time" to ask for more. Which also means me realising. So feel free to PM me if the show stops (or if you have access to the credit data, when it is running low).

Today, ATM we are "You have used 21030 of 35000 credits" (35000= 10k that they give standard to OSS projects + 25k just given on 21 June).

We will keep monitoring the issue.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

In that case we need to make sure people use [skip ci] in their commits if the commits aren't code related (like documentation updates, translations etc...)
right?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs