Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Post by PrzemoF »

Check my repo again (gitlab-v2-debug branch). Plenty of changes. The xore dump - change FreeCAD teat command to FreeCADCmd. Also I fixed ccache - huge speed up. More in the other thread about gitlab.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

PrzemoF wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:08 am Check my repo again (gitlab-v2-debug branch). Plenty of changes. The xore dump - change FreeCAD teat command to FreeCADCmd. Also I fixed ccache - huge speed up. More in the other thread about gitlab.
Hi PrzemoF, I'm highly interested in all that (CI/CD on Gitlab, Docker runners, ...) but hardly follow all these threads/posts. Do you plan to release a "guide for the dummy" explaining how the process works, how to set it up, how to add a new node to help (if possible), ... ?
Thx
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Thank you for the interest! The system seems to be fairly stable, so I hope to prepare a manual soon. For now you can read the README in my gitlab repo and check the opening post of the gutlab topic here on the forum.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Just to get more people aware of where we are with the gitlab-ci:

WHAT WORKS:
1. Remote control and build with docker images on external hardware
2. Local debugging of the builds/tests with "docker run -it freecadci/runner /bin/bash"
3. FreeCAD testing - after applying Russell patch (PR waiting and minor utf-8 unittest fixes
4. ccache - on my laptop average build & test + downloads/uploads takes 7-8 minutes. Need to be confirmed by someone else to make sure local config makes no difference.
5. Semi automated migration of open pull requests from github - tested on 100+ pull requests

WHAT DOESN'T WORK:
1. Please let me know if you find something :D
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Hey Przemo,
I'd like to have a better look at what you did with CI on gitlab... We definitely need to go somewhere, the github workflow is totally glued...
Where should I look?
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

The starting point is my gitlab repo - you should have some admin/developer access there. I'll leave my laptop on (aka the current builder), so if you push something it should build it. Also check the topic here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=59813

I just pushed the updates from the master repo to see if the builds work, so if you go to CI/CD you'll see that the build and test is in progress. Feel free to do whatever you need with that repo - it's purely to test the CI/CD, there is no code development happening there.

I might give you a personalised tour if you need over owncloud talk at some stage.

P.S. I'm still waiting for water pump to make a proper builder :lol:

Edit: I gave you Mainitainer level, to make sure you can mess with all settings. Please do not reset the authorisation token for the runner or let me know if you do it, so I can reflect that on the local builder.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

gitlab-ci.jpg
gitlab-ci.jpg (52.09 KiB) Viewed 2097 times
A rough sketch how it works
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

is it possible to see the results on gitlab online? I would like to have a look after each FEM commit if it still passen CI.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Like those?
https://gitlab.com/PrzemoF/FreeCAD/-/jobs/1563922698

I can give you Maintainer access to my repo if you want to experiment. The build only currently work if my laptop is switched on, but it's very easy to register another builder if you have a linux machine with docker. I'm still waiting for a water pump to set up a permanent test builder.
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

PrzemoF wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:22 am Like those?
https://gitlab.com/PrzemoF/FreeCAD/-/jobs/1563922698

I can give you Maintainer access to my repo if you want to experiment. The build only currently work if my laptop is switched on, but it's very easy to register another builder if you have a linux machine with docker. I'm still waiting for a water pump to set up a permanent test builder.
I have a HP EliteDesk lying around. No OS on it. I could treat this little machine a bit ...

I would need to:
- connect all cables
- install Debian
- install Docker
- and than?