Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Post by PrzemoF »

Do I understand it correctly: we're pretty much without the CI system for now?

What keeps FreeCAD on github? gitlab has in-house CI and it's not owned by a big company annoying me with "verify your email" emails (sic!)

Edit: there are some time limits on gitlab. I'll be testing it first if it makes any sense. Anyway gitlab allow external runners [1], so we could make it work with external machines compiling the code without watching the free CI minutes.

[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

PrzemoF wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:17 pm Do I understand it correctly: we're pretty much without the CI system for now?

What keeps FreeCAD on github? gitlab has in-house CI and it's not owned by a big company annoying me with "verify your email" emails (sic!)

Edit: there are some time limits on gitlab. I'll be testing it first if it makes any sense. Anyway gitlab allow external runners [1], so we could make it work with external machines compiling the code without watching the free CI minutes.

[1] https://docs.gitlab.com/runner/
Yes, we are without CI.

I have communicated with Travis CI several times indicating that we cannot maintain CI operations with the amount of credit they offer us. They are clear that they are committed to OSS and provide credits from time to time. However, the amounts that they provide do not much our needs.

We need to test alternatives. I do like the idea that GitLab allows for external runners. As far as I understand this may enable us to have build minutes if members of our community can offer some own computer time.

GitHub is convenient at the moment and we are used to use it. However, I am not married with M$.

Somehow, I expect that if Travis CI tightened the access to OSS projects, it is likely that GitHub actions and GitLab will end up doing the same. There having the option of external runners may be interesting.

Let us know how your tests go. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe it's time again to discuss reaching out to educational institutions that would be interested in hosting a CI service for us?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:52 pm Maybe it's time again to discuss reaching out to educational institutions that would be interested in hosting a CI service for us?
What would it need? If we ask some institution, they sure want to know which resources they have to provide.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

what about this kind guy's server? (read the quoted post)
Cyclonit wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:38 am
maybe it could be used with gitlab? (if it's still available?)
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I think the hardest part is to find someone who has enough time and knowledge to set it up and do the administration. Also having our own CI would be great, but I'm not sure if you can cover macos and windows with virtual builds?

I think gitlab offers external builds as well: https://docs.github.com/en/actions/guid ... ntegration
But I'm not happy to invest any time into researching it.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

PrzemoF wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:20 am Also having our own CI would be great, but I'm not sure if you can cover macos and windows with virtual builds?
If it does Linux, we might still get windows from somewhere else...

Let's see first what it can do, I follow up in the other thread you have opened.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I was trying to see interoperability between GitHub and GitLab runners (to see if it made sense to split the problem and solve it by parts), I learnt that GitHub Actions also offers the possibility of having self-hosted runners:
https://docs.github.com/en/actions/host ... ed-runners

Not saying we should go the GitHub way. Just saying it might be another possibility.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Being able to mix github (power of inertia), gitlab (still free and not owned by the big €€€) and external runners seems to be too good to be true. Let's try to do it :D
Cyclonit

Post by Cyclonit »

My offer still stands. Realthunder has been using one of my servers for a while now and I have not gotten any complaints. As long as the finished artefacts are not hosted on my server(s) it should be fine.