Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sww1235

Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Post by sww1235 »

Looks like TravisCI is pushing everyone to TravisCI.com instead of .org, with .org going read only dec 2020.

In addition, they are changing their pricing structure on .com, where you now have to either buy or beg for credits for oss.

I had changed some of my builds over to .com, but now got this email talking about the new credit system etc.

I don't know who monitors the email address associated with the freecad TravisCI account, but I figured I would post this here since I hadn't seen it come up yet.

Link below with more info and suggestions for an alternative.

Also sources from TravisCI website in regards to the pricing changes.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/blog/2020/ ... urce-works

https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/migrate ... -questions

https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-t ... ew-billing
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Post by Kunda1 »

Time to get serious of using our own in house CI?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
sww1235

Post by sww1235 »

I guess. Github actions in the short term?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I missed this.
PrzemoF wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:46 pm P.S. "Please be aware travis-ci.org will be shutting down in several weeks, with all accounts migrating to travis-ci.com. Please stay tuned here for more information. "
https://blog.travis-ci.com/2020-11-02-t ... ew-billing
"fight the good fight"
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

I tried to migrate my github repo. I'm not sure if I was sucessful as I have the Travis builds disabled on my personal repo.
I don't think I have organizational privileges to migrate github.comFreeCAD/FreeCAD.

Travis is moving to a "credit" based system. You get/buy credits and use them based on build time.
Linux 10 c(credits)/btm(build time minutes)
Win 20 c/btm
OSX (separate plan) 50 c/btm

An account gets some amount of credits by default, I think it's monthy.
OSS projects need to apply for additional credits.
"fight the good fight"
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

gitlab might work as well: https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/
50k CI minutes per month - 27h per day, not sure if that's enough

I think we should organise a test flight and see if it works for FreeCAD. I did some CI tests with gitlab 7 months ago, but I never pushed it far enough to get a proper build.

And in the long run: self hosted jenkins

Edit: I did a full build of the CalculiX ccx on gitlab using a script: the config file: https://gitlab.com/PrzemoF/calculix-bui ... lab-ci.yml
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

PrzemoF wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:27 pm And in the long run: self hosted jenkins
Something like this is I think what we're going to need before too long.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:25 pm Something like this is I think what we're going to need before too long.
What is the path forward, immediate term?
"fight the good fight"
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

sgrogan wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:16 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:25 pm Something like this is I think what we're going to need before too long.
What is the path forward, immediate term?
I read that they were getting people abusing the thing, like doing cryptocurrency. So I understand they want to check that there is no abuse.

Good news is that we have CI until 31 December.

Regardless of whether we try to set up other solutions in parallel, I guess we may migrate to .com on the 31 December and get the 10000 credits = 1000 linux minutes or 500 windows minutes. If we continue to build linux/windows, this is just around estimated 5-6 builds, which at our use rate* will probably be gone before the end of 1st January.

* In the last 7 days PRs alone we have build for around 390 hours (I roughly counted the hours in the PR log for 7 days, master builds not included). It is true that we were building osx, which we are no longer doing. If you just assume 200 hours/7 days for master (a guess), this makes around 600 hours/7 days, or 2600 hours/month, or 155000 minutes/month. And no, it is not about 1.5 million credits per month, because most of the time is spend by windows builds, the minute costing double. So, unless my brain collapsed (which given the time of the year is as plausible as anything else), we might need 2-3 million credits per month. This is, "only" 300 times of what they offer in their free accounts...

If we were to pay for it (not implying we should, but just to get an idea), at their stated rate of $15 per 25000 credits, we would be going to 1200-1800 Euros/month.

Even if we would restrict the build matrix to one linux build (averaging 40 minutes/build for estimation purposes), we would have 25 builds with 10000 credits = 1000 minutes, which will be gone before the end of the first week of January.

Please correct me if I am two tired and missed a factor of 10 somewhere...
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

abdullah wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:32 pm Even if we would restrict the build matrix to one linux build (averaging 40 minutes/build for estimation purposes), we would have 25 builds with 10000 credits = 1000 minutes, which will be gone before the end of the first week of January.
yikes!
This then makes the in-house Jenkins idea a lot more desirable in comparison. We just need the devops people and the resources :lol:

edit: typo
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs