Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Changes at TravisCI- affecting open source

Post by abdullah »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:17 pm In that case we need to make sure people use [skip ci] in their commits if the commits aren't code related (like documentation updates, translations etc...)
right?
I am of the opinion that we should treat Travis CI as we would treat it if their infrastructure were our own.

I am an advocate of frugality (not cheap, but cost conscious). This means that I think we should have the ability to build PRs multi-compiler/platform because it gives us a considerable value despite its computational cost. At the same time we should not build PRs that we do not need (do not contribute to global warming/do not waste energy/do not block resources for others... anyone can take their pick depending on their own ideals).

So, I think you are very much right and that what you say makes a lot of sense. I think we should promote the use of [skip ci] (for those who do not know, just include it in a commit message and Travis won't build it), where appropriate.

On a totally different balance between convenience and energy efficiency, if we could tend not to PR draft code which we do not intend to have (directly) merged, that would also improve the situation with Travis. Something like not building PR that we intend as draft PRs. I do not know if there is such a functionality ( something like the [skip ci] thing, but for a PR, with the possibility of actually building it when the PR as such is intended). However, something like this should have some automated logic, we should not give up the convenience of sharing code for review with appropriate differences just because Travis is always automatically triggered. We may need to explore if there is some kind of way of working to improve this.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

On a search for complements/alternatives

I have been contacted via PM by a user indicating that he would be willing to offer (part of) his own idle time of his computer at a home office to build FreeCAD. "Normal" PCs like his, with some 8 cores/ 32 GB with a decent Internet connection, up and running 24/7 or 24/5 most of the time idle are not uncommon.

His question is whether there is "an easy way" (tm) for him to contribute this idle time, and if yes, he is asking for help to set it up.

I read in the past about Jenkins (years ago), but I am not up to date with the newest offers. This is why I post. Has anybody experience with something that could match this use case. Github trigger => pool of servers running CI => grab one from the pool => build => Provide build logs?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

BTW, daily Travis report:
You have used 28390 of 35000 credits. 6610 available
EDIT: Average consumption of 7k credits per day since yesterday (and it is not particularly busy in PR-land).
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

There is something wrong with travis-CI - last completed check is 2 weeks old: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pulls so I'm not sure if the consumption of the credits is real.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Absolutely no experience with it, but eventually something to look at :?: https://www.jetbrains.com/opensource/
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

PrzemoF wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:38 am There is something wrong with travis-CI - last completed check is 2 weeks old: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pulls so I'm not sure if the consumption of the credits is real.
Not sure how you are seeing that... maybe we have something special that we need to change from travis-ci.org to travis-ci.com?

This is the list I see in Travis.com of the last builds:
Screenshot_20210627_194614.png
Screenshot_20210627_194614.png (164.11 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
I know they charge per minute, but I am not sure how the billing works exactly. My guess is that failed checks still consume minutes (and thus credits).

I know that we were given first 10k credits (basis for OSS projects). When they stopped the service a couple of days later we had some 14k credits used (they did not stop it at 10k). Then they gave 25k, but it counted from 14k upwards.

I just took a look now and we get the same credit as this morning (apparently we built nothing today?).
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

An example: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4851
"continuous-integration/travis-ci Expected — Waiting for status to be reported "
I see plenty of PRs with that info.

Edit: another example - my PR that changes only fedora spec - build failed. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4892
"travis-ci Travis CI - Pull Request Failing after 115m — Build Failed
continuous-integration/travis-ci Expected — Waiting for status to be reported "
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Transparency report:

-340 available credits (You have used 35340 of 35000 credits).
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

PrzemoF wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:28 pm An example: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4851
"continuous-integration/travis-ci Expected — Waiting for status to be reported "
I see plenty of PRs with that info.

Edit: another example - my PR that changes only fedora spec - build failed. https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/4892
"travis-ci Travis CI - Pull Request Failing after 115m — Build Failed
continuous-integration/travis-ci Expected — Waiting for status to be reported "
I see.

I do not know what is going on exactly there.

It might relate to when we run out of credits and the building pipeline is interrupted.

I know that I can restart an stuck build in Travis, but I am not sure if the build status will reflect in this PRs.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

My guess is that we got additional 25k credits from Travis (I do not have a written confirmation from support).

We are in the red again (transparency report):
Update: -4260 available credits: You have used 64260 of 60000 credits