Sketcher - Trim

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Sketcher - Trim

Post by abdullah »

Trim has several bugs and is very extensive.

I am working on this aspect. I wanted to show some progress. Maybe somebody sees other improvements.
Peek 17-01-2021 07-53.gif
Peek 17-01-2021 07-53.gif (123.88 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
abdullah
Veteran

Re: Sketcher - Trim

Post by abdullah »

As a limited time offer, now with external geometry support and support for all conics:
Peek 17-01-2021 07-57.gif
Peek 17-01-2021 07-57.gif (67.48 KiB) Viewed 2715 times
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

While it is not finished, I am publishing my development branch, just in case somebody wants to play with it (and discover bugs)
https://github.com/abdullahtahiriyo/Fre ... im_updates_

The code for arcs and lines is "new" (trimmed curves). If this code crashes I am interesting in it. It has not undergo heavy testing so far.

The code for periodic curves (circles, ellipses) is old, but may need adaptation, so if it crashes, it is expected. I still have to work on that part.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Looks excellent functionality, really like the
external geometry functionality

Amazing work, many thanks to you (and other developers)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Great as always! For me it would be even a tiny bit more intuitive if always both green circles are shown, even if one of them is the endpoint of a line or curve.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bleber

Post by bleber »

Excellent work.
I found in original code that if I make distance constrain in a point, and apply a trim that affect that point I lose the constraints on it.
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (16.83 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is well known, there is another topic from this or the previous week, where improvements are discussed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

Maybe a "you give them a finger and they took the whole hand" situation (free translating of a dutch saying) ;)

Would it be possible to make the trim less click intensive. something like a gum or something and when holding the click then it cuts every line it crosses?
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am Maybe a "you give them a finger and they took the whole hand" situation (free translating of a dutch saying)
Nice, in Italy if "you give them a finger they take the whole arm"... Ahah
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Jee-Bee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am Maybe a "you give them a finger and they took the whole hand" situation (free translating of a dutch saying) ;)

Would it be possible to make the trim less click intensive. something like a gum or something and when holding the click then it cuts every line it crosses?
Well, after the hand, they can take the arm, then the second arm, then the legs are still left... :lol:

It can be explored, but not at this time. You may make a ticket for that. It involves having a new mode in the trim tool and changing what to do when moving the mouse and clicking.

I was thinking about this behaviour of deleting when there is nothing left after trimming:
Peek 25-01-2021 07-37.gif
Peek 25-01-2021 07-37.gif (96.92 KiB) Viewed 2425 times