Sketcher - Trim

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mlampert
Veteran

Re: Sketcher - Trim

Post by mlampert »

This is awesome - thanks very much!

And now that I have your attention and pinky :D how about, instead of deleting the trimmed segment, make that segment a construction segment?
I know, I know, both arms and legs and probably some vitals as well, but I would find that extraordinarily handy :D
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

abdullah wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:45 am It can be explored, but not at this time. You may make a ticket for that. It involves having a new mode in the trim tool and changing what to do when moving the mouse and clicking.

I was thinking about this behaviour of deleting when there is nothing left after trimming:
done issue #4544
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

mlampert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am And now that I have your attention and pinky :D how about, instead of deleting the trimmed segment, make that segment a construction segment?
I know, I know, both arms and legs and probably some vitals as well, but I would find that extraordinarily handy :D
It is not rather an problem of arms and legs. That is very doable. Here I am curious about the cohesion of the tool. If a trim tool starts making things construction, maybe it is not a trim tool anymore. If it gives an obvious advantage, maybe it is a better tool for certain workflows or circumstances. I would like to hear more insight about this (from you or from others).

At this time, I have not digested it and I am substantially reluctant to allow this in the standard trim tool, but I am wide open to having a second tool doing this (or better) if it makes sense. Does it make sense :lol: ?
mlampert
Veteran

Post by mlampert »

abdullah wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 pm At this time, I have not digested it and I am substantially reluctant to allow this in the standard trim tool, but I am wide open to having a second tool doing this (or better) if it makes sense. Does it make sense :lol: ?
I wholeheartedly agree, it's not a "trim" and would be rather confusing when advertised as such. And after thinking about it a little longer I realised that my rushed "body grab" wouldn't do what I was looking for. I would want the original feature to still exist, but only parts of it contributing to the actual sketch. As a very simple case:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (5.54 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
I'ts probably obvious how the final sketch should look like. It would be great if the circle stays a "circle" and the rectangle stays a "rectangle", even after I "trim" all the internal segments. Much easier to constraint the basic elements than the remaining segments, less error prone and it communicates what I was doing to my future self (who's always smarter than my present self but never understands what past self was doing :mrgreen: ).
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Great enhancements in sketcher WB last months. And great to see enjoyment from you Abdullah, your motivation enlighten everyone :-)
mlampert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am how about, instead of deleting the trimmed segment, make that segment a construction segment?
+1

abdullah wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 pm Here I am curious about the cohesion of the tool
Such behaviour could be enabled as an option of trim tool maybe? By holding C,E key (Construction Element) for eg. while trimming elements.
What do you think?
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

-alex- wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:15 pm Great enhancements in sketcher WB last months. And great to see enjoyment from you Abdullah, your motivation enlighten everyone :-)
mlampert wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:31 am how about, instead of deleting the trimmed segment, make that segment a construction segment?
+1

abdullah wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:54 pm Here I am curious about the cohesion of the tool
Such behaviour could be enabled as an option of trim tool maybe? By holding C,E key (Construction Element) for eg. while trimming elements.
What do you think?
As a separate tool, I prefer to have a separate icon in the toolbar in a drop down fashion (like the conics, ellipse, hyperbola, ...). It does not occupy precious toolbar space, yet it is handy. It gets tricky to remember things like pressing c or e...
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I was thinking maybe this could be useful:
Attachments
Peek 26-01-2021 16-42.gif
Peek 26-01-2021 16-42.gif (76.79 KiB) Viewed 1135 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

[flash=]
abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:46 pm I was thinking maybe this could be useful:
[/flash]This looks extremely promising! Not due to the trimming, which I use too seldom anyway, but rather because you can calculate the intersection point. Can we hope for integrating points on the B-spline into the solver?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:43 pm
abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:46 pm I was thinking maybe this could be useful:
This looks extremely promising! Not due to the trimming, which I use too seldom anyway, but rather because you can calculate the intersection point. Can we hope for integrating points on the B-spline into the solver?
Nope. OCCT is calculating the trimming intersection, not the solver. The solver lives in a world of circles representing poles and it is very happy... :lol:
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

abdullah wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:46 pm As a separate tool, I prefer to have a separate icon in the toolbar in a drop down fashion (like the conics, ellipse, hyperbola, ...). It does not occupy precious toolbar space, yet it is handy.
That would be more visible indeed.
I was thinking maybe this could be useful:
Those stuffs are better n better: bravo! :D