Oldest Linux distro currently supported

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Oldest Linux distro currently supported

Post by chennes »

I've had a couple issues recently where code I wrote or reviewed turned out not to compile on an older distro -- I'd like to set up a VM with a representative of the oldest distribution we want to support as of right now (obviously this will change over time). Does anyone know what a good candidate for that is right now? Ubuntu Xenial (16.04)? Or do I need to go back to 14.04? Or something other than Ubuntu?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Oldest Linux distro currently supported

Post by kkremitzki »

16.04 is the oldest. With a 5 year support cycle, 14.04 is EOL, and 16.04 will be too in 3 months.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Do we actually intend to support 16.04 right now, though, on the current master branch (and with the 0.19 release)? I'm having difficulty getting it to compile, and of course on 16.04 you only have python2/Qt4, which the wiki very much seems to indicate we don't actually support.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chennes wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:29 pm Do we actually intend to support 16.04 right now, though, on the current master branch (and with the 0.19 release)? I'm having difficulty getting it to compile, and of course on 16.04 you only have python2/Qt4, which the wiki very much seems to indicate we don't actually support.
Yes through the dev cycle and 0.19 stable (unless 16.04 is EOL by then)
The PPA builds master with PY3/QT4, you need a bunch of dependencies from the PPA https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... /+packages

The policy is to not drop support during a dev cycle. After 0.19 we will drop both PY2 and QT4.
"fight the good fight"
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:52 pm The PPA builds master with PY3/QT4, you need a bunch of dependencies from the PPA https://launchpad.net/~freecad-maintain ... /+packages
OK, thanks. I thought I had to use Py2 with Qt4.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:52 pm The policy is to not drop support during a dev cycle. After 0.19 we will drop both PY2 and QT4.
It is clear what you say. But the reasoning seem strange (not saying it is coming from you). Considering that 16.04 is EOL in 3 month. And Python 2 is already EOL. Why should 0.19, that is not even released yet, take care to support these versions? (edit: for presumably several years until 0.2 comes out) :?