Reverse Engineering Workbench status

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chennes
Veteran

Reverse Engineering Workbench status

Post by chennes »

As I was working on getting our codebase compiling under the C++17 standard today I ran across some minor issues with the Reverse Engineering Workbench. It seems that it's using a few features that were deprecated in C++11 and removed in C++17. It's not a big deal to replace those things with their C++17-compatible equivalents, but before I did so I thought I'd check to make sure that's the correct way forward -- the alternative is to remove that workbench (or at least, don't compile it), since it seems like it's been unmaintained for quite some time.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Reverse Engineering Workbench status

Post by Kunda1 »

That's wmayer's territory.
wmayer wrote: pinged by pinger macro
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

For the record, it's really just the Windows Libpack version of FLANN that's the issue -- they haven't actually issued a formal release sine 2016, so even though the GitHub repo has the C++17 compatibility fixes, we haven't packaged it up on Windows. We probably ought to do so regardless, so it's not really anything that has to change in RE.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

the alternative is to remove that workbench (or at least, don't compile it), since it seems like it's been unmaintained for quite some time.
Unfortunately, I can work on this Wb only from time to time. So, at the moment there is not much functionality and maybe looks unmaintained but it shouldn't be removed.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

OK - I will work with apeltauer to get an updated FLANN into the LibPack.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chennes wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:47 pm OK - I will work with apeltauer to get an updated FLANN into the LibPack.
+ FLANN also added to the CMake summary (it's installed via PCL, I believe)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
matthiaswm

Post by matthiaswm »

chennes wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:00 pm As I was working on getting our codebase compiling under the C++17 standard today I ran across some minor issues with the Reverse Engineering Workbench. It seems that it's using a few features that were deprecated in C++11 and removed in C++17.
Did you get it to compile in the end? How?

I am trying to compile Reverse Engineering with Point Cloud Library enabled (current GIT), but even when setting the Module to C++14, compilation will fail (std::random_shuffle no longer exists). I could not get the current version of Flann to compile under VisualC 2019 either (CMake complains that PkgConfig is missing, and other stuff).

Any suggestions?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

matthiaswm wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:55 pm Did you get it to compile in the end? How?
I believe all I had to do was switch out the FLANN library in the LibPack with the latest HEAD from their GitHub.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System