[fixed] [regression] broken encoding in About dialog

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

Re: [fixed] [regression] broken encoding in About dialog

Post by uwestoehr »

UR_ wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:09 pm conda weekly builds even for win:
No doc folder -> no CONTRIBUTORS file -> no Contrib tab
That should be fixed.

There is no need to save something. The weekly builds are for testing but how can I test something I can't test?
I guess this "saving" is the reason why we have substantial doc errors also in the releases. Take for example that "What's this" doesn't work for some complete WBs and that e.g. for the Std features, we only offer help pages that only contain one line. So in this respect we should do something and since data size is no big deal nowadays, it doesn't harm to have bigger weekly packages.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [regression] broken encoding in About dialog

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:07 am

Code: Select all

App.getHelpDir()
/Users/cb/Desktop/FreeCAD.app/Contents/Resources/share/doc/FreeCAD/
and where in your FreeCAD installation you have the file "CONTRIBUTORS"?
This file doesn't exist in the distro.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chennes
Veteran

Re: [regression] broken encoding in About dialog

Post by chennes »

looo wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:46 am Offline Docs are only included in the release bundles.
Can we exclude the full docs but still include LICENSE.html and CONTRIBUTORS? Or would it be best to move those two files elsewhere?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chennes wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:19 pm Can we exclude the full docs but still include LICENSE.html and CONTRIBUTORS? Or would it be best to move those two files elsewhere?
We should include them and ThirdPartyLibraries.html, this is what I do for the Libpack builds. I will make a pull request on the FreeCAD-Appimage repo. It may take a couple days.
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:27 pm That should be fixed.

There is no need to save something.
The Offline docs are 220 MB and don't change over the course of the dev cycle. They can be downloaded once from https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/releases/tag/0.19.1 Then add them or create the doc sub-directory.
"fight the good fight"
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

sgrogan wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:47 pm We should include them and ThirdPartyLibraries.html, this is what I do for the Libpack builds. I will make a pull request on the FreeCAD-Appimage repo.
Awesome, thank you. I did not think about packaging issues when I changed the About code. :oops:
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have the Credits in the release version - thanks looo! - and the encoding is correct here.
I appreciate to have a smaller development version and think including Credits in the stable versions should be enough.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:27 pm
UR_ wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:09 pm conda weekly builds even for win:
No doc folder -> no CONTRIBUTORS file -> no Contrib tab
That should be fixed.

There is no need to save something. The weekly builds are for testing but how can I test something I can't test?
I guess this "saving" is the reason why we have substantial doc errors also in the releases. Take for example that "What's this" doesn't work for some complete WBs and that e.g. for the Std features, we only offer help pages that only contain one line. So in this respect we should do something and since data size is no big deal nowadays, it doesn't harm to have bigger weekly packages.
Idk. There are different opinions...
I prefer some alpha releases before a final release is made where we include all the docs.

Also I see the point: why including asm3 and glider workbench while not shipping the docs... Doesn't make a lot of sense. On the other hand I don't want to distribute another freecad bundle only for the glider workbench.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

We could have the smaller regular version and a big one every two months or so.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Looks like this is going to take me a little longer, the files aren't available in the conda build.
I can copy the LICENSE.html and CONTRIBUTORS from the src tree, but I don't know what to do about the ThirdPartyLibraries.html?
"fight the good fight"