Nurbs converted code

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mariwan

Nurbs converted code

Post by mariwan »

Hi,
As I am reading, modifying and trying to get this code converted to the format I use, which must be classes and clean definition of commands, I understand little bit more of Microelly's code.
Many of his commands are more like experiment rather than a real tool that you use. They are made for special purposes (many of them not all).
Some comes with specific file which he has in data folder.
My roadmap here is to :
  • Convert them ALL to the way I can find them easily in toolbar and their original files
  • try to run them and if possible try to get them to works.(Notice that I get many problems at the moment, I don't know how to use many of them)
  • Ask community to help in understanding the commands as they might been involved in developing them(please if you with to do so now, make issue in my github, write the command and write how it should be used .. and I will put your notes in the code..Please in English)
  • After understanding how the commands should be used
    • Make them more like a command, with error detection(usage warning ..etc)
    • Remove duplicated commands
  • Great clean up of the code
  • Document the code (Translate the German comments (someone would take this hopefully), document all commands
Question to the community:
-There are many YouTube videos. I am afraid that these videos might be lost if he delete his account ..etc. Is there a way to preserve them? How should I do?
-Threads regarding each commands might have valuable documentation and howto.. I might need help later to find them out and put it in the WIKI page.

I hope you will be interested and help when this will be required (I don't mean coding, I know you don't have time :lol: ). Thanks for reading.
Last edited by mariwan on Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paullee
Veteran

Re: To anyone care of using Microelly's converted code

Post by paullee »

Maybe first to categorise his available videos / code ? :)
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

If my memory doesn't let me down, Joel Graff and HakanSeven had some interaction with microelly2 in the past?

Joel_graff wrote:
HakanSeven wrote:
Pauvres_honteux

May I add a wish here?
Since you are basically rewriting microelly's code from bottom up, I'd like to propose you to make nurbs creatable from curves and therefor being ruled by them as well. And at the same time being ruled by other (bezier)surfaces connected the same curves.

Would be highly appreciated if we could get nurbs which does not just float around in space, but its edges is ruled by curves and other surfaces.

Manipulation of the nurbs surface between the ruling curves and bezier surfaces must of course be made simple.
And many different ways of grabbing / dragging the poles / grid also comes high on the whish-list.
mariwan

Post by mariwan »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:00 pm May I add a wish here?
Since you are basically rewriting microelly's code from bottom up, I'd like to propose you to make nurbs creatable from curves and therefor being ruled by them as well. And at the same time being ruled by other (bezier)surfaces connected the same curves.

Would be highly appreciated if we could get nurbs which does not just float around in space, but its edges is ruled by curves and other surfaces.

Manipulation of the nurbs surface between the ruling curves and bezier surfaces must of course be made simple.
And many different ways of grabbing / dragging the poles / grid also comes high on the whish-list.
Hi,
Actually I am rewriting only what I need to.. i.e. those parts that no longer can be run with current FreeCAD, python. It is huge .. without comments. Understanding the code is not easy specially I don't know how to use them.

Would you like to put your wish at my git hub ? please

https://github.com/MariwanJ/Design456/issues
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

I don't really have a way to reach out to Microelly, if that's the question. Apart from that, I also haven't really worked with his code except for a couple small projects he and I collaborated on related to Trails. I understand the challenge, though - he didn't write well-commented production code. :)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
Pauvres_honteux

marja1 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:44 pm Would you like to put your wish at my git hub ? please
https://github.com/MariwanJ/Design456/issues
Hmm, what happens with that GIT-hub-request if you decide to take a multi year break?

How about I create a feature request in the tracker instead and put you as an assignee? Would that be a good enough solution or do you feel strongly about having it in GIT-hub as well?
mariwan

Re: Nurbs converted code

Post by mariwan »

HI,
I don't have account in the tracker .. I don't think this login works there.
No one took Nurbs and worked on before me .. and I didn't/don't promise either. After a request of a user, I started this conversion.

I have my project that I wish to continue develop. Feel free to ask others. They can take the work I done and develop it further.
I did that to let FREECAD folk be able to at least see a code that is compatible with the current version of freecad, python ..etc.
Hope answered your question.
Last edited by mariwan on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:38 am How about I create a feature request in the tracker instead and put you as an assignee?
:shock: Tracker is used only for FreeCAD master. No way to start using it for all community macros/workbenches/addons.
mariwan

Post by mariwan »

As I mentioned in the Design456 thread, Nurbs are merged to my main github. Please anyone wished to translate the German comments start doing it now.
There are text that might help me to understand how things should work. At the moment I don't understand them .. I know google is there but believe me I don't have time for that. My major time is to develop .. not anything else.

Someone asked med to ping him when I am ready, I don't know how to do that and I don't remember his username.
Please clone the main branch and make Pull request per each python file you make. It is easier for me to merge it .
Thanks in advance.