[WISH] Change the precision of Scale property in TechDraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
steelman

[WISH] Change the precision of Scale property in TechDraw

Post by steelman »

Hi,

I've been learning Arch for last couple of weeks and I am now preparing some drawings in TechDraw. I found that the Scale property of DrawView is of type App::PropertyFloatConstraint which limits its precision to what is set in preferences. On one hand millimeter precision (zero decimal places) is enough for Arch (OK, i've got it set to two, so I can work with smaller sketches) on the other hand two decimal places is definitely too little for scaling building drawings to A4/A3. I can only choose between 0.02 (the drawing could be bigger) and 0.03 (the drawing doesn't fit the page). The perfect scale in my case is 0.025 (1:40) but I can't set it without changing precision globally and I don't want three decimal places everywhere else.

Please consider either of the following:
  • changing the type of Scale in DrawView to PropertyPrecision (although 16 decimal places seems too much)
  • creating dedicated class (like PropertyPrecision) with separately adjustable precission (Preferences →TechDraw → Scale)
  • something more general?
Note: I've got limited resources at hand now, so I can't setup C++ development environment for FreeCAD now and I won't be able to provide patches myself. Please understand.
M4x
Veteran

Re: [WISH] Change the precision of Scale property in TechDraw

Post by M4x »

I think this should be moved to the TD section.
tpavlicek

Post by tpavlicek »

Hi steelman,
steelman wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:17 pm The perfect scale in my case is 0.025 (1:40) but I can't set it without changing precision globally
Though not quite comfortable - you will still see number "0.03" in properties - there is a workaround: Enter the Scale "0.025" as an expression. This works, if you need the value really bad.

Kind regards,

Tomas
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Regarding scales: I use to type something like 1/40
steelman

Post by steelman »

tpavlicek wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:17 am Enter the Scale "0.025" as an expression. This works, if you need the value really bad.
Thanks, Tomas! This seem like an acceptable workaround. However, I still think a single global precision setting is too coarse.