Issue fix + 2 related but separate changes

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heewa

Issue fix + 2 related but separate changes

Post by heewa »

I believe I have a fix for Issue 4098 (FreeCAD should not exit if unable to rename backup file to project file while exiting). While debugging that, I also made two related changes that feel separate.

How should I handle these? Normally I'd just throw up Pull Requests and figure it out in the discussions there, but I'm trying to follow the guidelines for FreeCAD development. Should I describe my changes here, or post code here, or something else?
chennes
Veteran

Re: Issue fix + 2 related but separate changes

Post by chennes »

Well, as a general rule it's best if a bug fix is in its own PR, but it's not like no one ever breaks that. If you post a link to your fork and branch we can look at it and see what makes the most sense.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
heewa

Post by heewa »

Sure, here you go:
As a side question, isn't this exactly what Pull Requests do - put up code submissions for consideration & discussion? Would it work to just start with the PR?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Well, you said the additional changes "feel separate" -- so I thought we could help you determine whether it made sense to submit them as part of the bugfix PR or as a separate one. If you've already decided one way or the other, go for it.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
heewa

Post by heewa »

Oh, it's not that I've decided, I just wondered about the process. I'll start with a PR next time. Thanks!