Unable to debug certain DLLs due to lack of symbols

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dead.hau5

Unable to debug certain DLLs due to lack of symbols

Post by dead.hau5 »

Hello everyone,
I am new to development in FreeCAD, and am trying to understand the working structure of it. For this I compiled FreeCAD 0.20 by following the instructions at https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Compile_on_Windows.
When I try to debug it on MS Visual Studio by dropping a breakpoint and using the Call Stack, I am not able to view/debug the Qt5 related DLLs, and python38_d.DLL, due to lack of symbols files. I have attached screenshots of the callstack showing the DLLs in question.

Is there a way to generate/download symbols for these DLLs?
Image Image
wmayer
Founder

Re: Unable to debug certain DLLs due to lack of symbols

Post by wmayer »

In order to debug through Qt code you need the matching PDB files and the source code. Since it has become a nightmare to build Qt on your own it's best to use the official installer which allows you to choose between different versions for different VS versions. If possible try to get the exact same version as in the LibPack.

Contrary to Qt building Python on your own has become super easy in the last couple of years. You should download the source tarball for the exact same Python version as you have in the LibPack. Then carefully read the instructions of the README file.

After you have successfully built Python you can copy the .dll, .lib and .pdb files into your LibPack (maybe make a backup of the original files first).