Multi-threading the mesh->solid converter

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wmayer
Founder

Re: Multi-threading the mesh->solid converter

Post by wmayer »

tanderson69 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:46 pm If you build up with the correct topo sharing as suggested, you can then 'quilt' instead of 'sew'. I believe it is much faster, but haven't profiled. quilt
Thanks for the pointer. I will have a look at it.
IMHO: The practice of bringing in meshes and converting to solids or any TopoDS_Shape should be discouraged. For TopoDS_Shapes the complexity of the shape is designed into the surface definitions and not into topological connections at scale. My guess is users want to convert to solid to do some operations that are missing from the mesh workbenches. I think that is the real problem.
I totally agree with you. But at the moment we have only very limited possibilities for real surface reconstructions and this is a (poor) way of getting a shape. Although such a shape can't be used for most operations afterwards there are a few cases where it is still good enough.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

wmayer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:16 pm Thanks for the pointer. I will have a look at it.
The class BRepBuilderAPI_Sewing internally also uses BRepTools_Quilt and according to my tests (on a different computer) this is the part that requires the most time of the process. So, in the end it doesn't matter much if I use BRepBuilderAPI_Sewing or BRepTools_Quilt.
tanderson69
Veteran

Post by tanderson69 »

wmayer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:16 pm I totally agree with you. But at the moment we have only very limited possibilities for real surface reconstructions and this is a (poor) way of getting a shape. Although such a shape can't be used for most operations afterwards there are a few cases where it is still good enough.
I assumed you shared that opinion and I understand your pragmatism. I just wanted to opine to the forum in general. I get 'itchy' when threads like these show up. I am afraid users will read the thread and bring more legitimacy to a poor work flow.

wmayer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:52 pm The class BRepBuilderAPI_Sewing internally also uses BRepTools_Quilt and according to my tests (on a different computer) this is the part that requires the most time of the process. So, in the end it doesn't matter much if I use BRepBuilderAPI_Sewing or BRepTools_Quilt.
This surprises me! Good to know, thanks.