forum issues with freecad.org

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: forum issues with freecad.org

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:02 am Who maintains the forum?
It seems to be Kunda. I had offered a helping hand in fixing the FreeCAD style (huge emojis, garbled control panel), but haven't heard from him since then.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

All of us with admin right (name in purple) have admin powers to the forum. Mostly it's Kurt, Jim and me who take care of it.

The FreeCAD themes are pretty broken in several areas, I don't see the point in keeping them as default... If you want to use them, go for it, but IMHO it's best to give users a fully functional forum by default than a nicer one with missing functionality.

We must urgently change the phpBB logo from elegance, though... That would already be a huge improvement. I'll look at that now
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:20 am It seems to be Kunda [...] but haven't heard from him since then.
this is irrelevant to the discussion but I think Kunda is a woman given the github username luzpaz, Luz and Paz are female names at least in spanish although they also mean light and peace respectively so could be just that.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

That would only make Kunda even cooler 8-)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

yorik wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:43 am The FreeCAD themes are pretty broken in several areas, I don't see the point in keeping them as default...
What exactly is broken? I use it daily and only encountered a minor visibility issue.

For me the important thing is that users have the important things in the header:
- Link to the bugtracker
- Link to the Wiki

At the moment there is no link to the bugtracker at all.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:42 pm What exactly is broken? I use it daily and only encountered a minor visibility issue.
This is how the control panel looks:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-02 um 22.52.43.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-02 um 22.52.43.png (86.05 KiB) Viewed 1627 times
This is how the non default emojis look like, here the blush emoji: :blush:. Switch to the prosilver board style and see how it should look like.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Plus the breadcrumbs are broken, and there is no notifications system, etc.

Fundamentally, these themes were made at a time where phpBB theming was not very easy, one had to copy a whole folder of HTML files and modify them by hand. The result, obviously, is that phpBB evolved, but the HTML files of our themes stayed old.

Nowadays you can make themes a bit more efficient way, by just modifying the files you need, and the others are taken from a default, parent theme. So you can make minimalist themes that stay up to date easily. So our old FreeCAD themes are a dead end, sooner or later. I think we should make them all over again based on a default one (elegance for example).
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Ok I managed to finally change the phpBB logo of the elegance theme. That's not much but already something (you might need to shift+reload this page to see)
Screenshot from 2021-12-03 11-53-29.png
Screenshot from 2021-12-03 11-53-29.png (43.39 KiB) Viewed 1559 times
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

yorik wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:30 am Plus the breadcrumbs are broken, and there is no notifications system, etc.
What are breadcrumbs?

The notification system works nicely for me.

The display of non-standard emojis/icons is the only issue I see so far.
Once I was a new user I noticed them too so this issue is old.
yorik wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:30 am Nowadays you can make themes a bit more efficient way, by just modifying the files you need, and the others are taken from a default, parent theme. So you can make minimalist themes that stay up to date easily. So our old FreeCAD themes are a dead end, sooner or later. I think we should make them all over again based on a default one (elegance for example).
I just thought the better option would be to have one FC-default theme and take carer that this is kept up to date. the benefit is that it suits our needs, not only to contain our logo. We need in the header line links to our Wiki, bugtracker and Github. Also a menu with further useful links would be very helpful, for example a link to a forum post on how to report an issue.

If this can be achieved with another theme, fine with me. So I don't care about the theme's layout but its content.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

uwestoehr wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:56 pm What are breadcrumbs?
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-03 um 17.38.22.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-12-03 um 17.38.22.png (12.67 KiB) Viewed 1461 times
They help to find your way back home.

The control panel looks ok for you?