forum issues with freecad.org

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
uwestoehr
Veteran

forum issues with freecad.org

Post by uwestoehr »

I see that Roy kindly already sent patches to update the URLs to freecad.org. However before we continue with this, everything should be working and tested.

For example in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5127 the forum link was changed to freecad.org. This is not yet working there:

- go to freecad.org
- switch to the forum and log in
result: you are transferred to freecadweb.org and it seems. But when you want to wrote a post, you are kicked out and have to re-login via freecadweb.org

Roy_043 wrote: .
yorik wrote: .
kkremitzki wrote: .
bernd wrote: .
yorik
Founder

Re: forum issues with freecad.org

Post by yorik »

Indeed, the forum.freecad.org works, but it redirects to freecadweb almost immediately when you do anything. I think the freecadweb.org URL is hard-coded somewhere, probably in the config file. Unfortunately many web apps work like that, they need a fixed home URL, they cannot really work on two domains.

I would like to test a bit further that way (I am switching all my bookmarks and links to freecad.org), because when we'll switch, the contrary will happen, what we experience now is what people who still use freecadweb.org will see, so better make sure it's not too annoying and not blocking.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Many thanks for taking care.

While you or Kurt are at it, can you please make the theme "FreeCAD" again the default theme? As it is we have the phBB standard. The FreeCAD theme has the advantage that it links in its headline all relevant sites like the Wiki and bugtracker. It also looks much better than the phBB default in my opinion.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

For example in https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/5127 the forum link was changed to freecad.org.
Btw, it makes no sense to put urls into Qt's translation system because we run into the risk that a translator changes the text and thus the function to open the url won't work any more.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

wmayer wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:53 am Btw, it makes no sense to put urls into Qt's translation system because we run into the risk that a translator changes the text and thus the function to open the url won't work any more.
I guess the intent is that translators can change the link to point directly to the localized page. ;)
Just a guess though.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

First I thought this too but it's not the case.

Btw, the urls only occur in expressions of this form:

Code: Select all

std::string defaulturl = QCoreApplication::translate(this->className(), "FreeCAD_Url").toStdString();
In this case the string won't be added by lupdate to the .ts files because the context is not a hard-coded string.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Indeed I would also think "freecadweb.org" or "freecad.org" should be stripped out from everything that goes to crowdin. In the rare cases where something points to a wiki page, only the page name should be translated...

There is some stuff also (icons, etc...) that are named after freecadweb.org. I would really like to strip that out too, I can't believe it is a formal freedesktop requirement. It doesn't make any sense. FreeCAD is not a "subproduct" of an internet domain. It's exactly the contrary...
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

There are still issues:

- go to freecad.org
- change there to Forum
- login
result: you are not logged in but only transferred to forum.freecadweb.org

- Go to https://www.freecadweb.org/
- change there to Forum
result: you end up at forum.freecad.org
So better would be to have a redirect from freecadweb.org -> freecad.org

- go to forum.freecad.org or forum.freecadweb.org
result: you see the phBB standard page
But we have a working and nice-looking FreeCAD theme for the forum:
firefox_oVS0V1WCED.png
firefox_oVS0V1WCED.png (17.78 KiB) Viewed 2696 times
It just has to be made the default. It lists all relevant info like the bug tracker.

- we don't link our bugtracker anywhere. This would be fixed with the fix for 3. since there you have the link in the menubar and since people should post in the forum before create a bug report, this was a sensible link.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Basically what I found out so far is that the forum emits only one cookie, for it's configured URL (in this case, freecadweb.org). Since cookies are bound to domains, and cannot be read from other domains, the logged in session can only be used with freecadweb.org.
There seems to be an extension that solves the problem: https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... 9&t=885205
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

Can we do something? As it is it is confusing for new users like this one: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=64195

Who maintains the forum? I would like to get the FreeCAD style back as default as I wrote and this should be doable without problems. I use the style daily and see no reasons why it was removed as default, only drawbacks.