FCStd format documentation

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
xryl669

FCStd format documentation

Post by xryl669 »

To follow this topic recommandation , I'm trying to generate a FCStd file from scratch (not within FreeCAD) that's open-able from FreeCAD.

Since I couldn't find any documentation from the FCStd file format, I've started to write one here.
I think it'll help other to produce FreeCAD content from outside FreeCAD (and maybe, consume it?).

However, I've only documented what I've found for my specific need, so any help or improvement would be welcome. Typically, I'm only exporting a FCStd document with sketches in them. So the BRP file seems not the be required, FreeCAD is able to recreate them from the XML file's

Code: Select all

GeometryList
node. It seems that BRP file might be required for other features, but I don't know which one.

If any dev is willing to explain the intrinsics/pits/difficulties of this format, I'd be glad to collect and compile the explanation in my documentation page.
jonasb

Re: FCStd format documentation

Post by jonasb »

There is a corresponding page in the wiki: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/File_Format_FCStd

I suggest to add any missing bits there instead of starting something new else where.
xryl669

Post by xryl669 »

This is not wikipedia. Unless you have an account on the Wiki (which I don't have), you can't modify or improve the pages.

In the wiki page, it's mainly a dump of an XML file with no description whatsoever about what element are in there and why.
If you have an account, please feel free to copy my page's description into the wiki, at least, I've started documented the element in the XML file.

Ideally, the file format should be documented from the source code so it could be collected and be maintained up to date with the code. I don't know if it's possible in the current source tree. What do you think? Possible ?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

You need an account for Wikipedia too I think ;)

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6830
ubiquity

Post by ubiquity »

xryl669 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:01 am This is not wikipedia. Unless you have an account on the Wiki (which I don't have), you can't modify or improve the pages.

In the wiki page, it's mainly a dump of an XML file with no description whatsoever about what element are in there and why.
If you have an account, please feel free to copy my page's description into the wiki, at least, I've started documented the element in the XML file.

Ideally, the file format should be documented from the source code so it could be collected and be maintained up to date with the code. I don't know if it's possible in the current source tree. What do you think? Possible ?
What is wrong with creating an account. I think, probably, that you would find your contributions welcome on the wiki.
OS - Linux Mint 19 & Win10 (both 64bit)
IT Training & Support (retired)
Cheers Paul