Time to reopen the old thread about replacing COIN3D?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mariwan

Time to reopen the old thread about replacing COIN3D?

Post by mariwan »

I don't know if it is not time for re-targeting the subject of replacing COIN3D?
Isn't better that we put some effort in finding a replacement before Windows/Linux/MAC/..etc stop supporting OpenGL?
My concern is that I need to put much effort in drawing in COIN3D while we know the status of COIN3D.

My WB will not be able to do direct modeling without a help of another tool. OCCT is not capable. If I put so much effort in the drawings using COIN3D, and after one - two years I must rewrite again everything .. that is my big concern.
Please write down what you think might be a possible replacement for COIN3D.
BR
kwahoo

Re: Time to reopen the old thread about replacing COIN3D?

Post by kwahoo »

mariwan wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:35 pm Isn't better that we put some effort in finding a replacement before Windows/Linux/MAC/..etc stop supporting OpenGL?
That's not a problem at all, since there exist Zink (and Copper extension, OpenGL over Vulkan), and OpenGL over Direct3D12, and MoltenVK (Vulkan over Metal, can work as base for Zink).

I think Coin3D will stay with us for next 10 or 15 years. Amount of the code is simply too big to rewrite without new people working only on this.