Supporting Qt 6 - What's needed?

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
LarryWoestman

Re: Supporting Qt 6 - What's needed?

Post by LarryWoestman »

I happened to notice that Spyder uses QtPy, which appears to work with both Qt5 and Qt6. It might be worth a look if someone hasn't already done so.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:01 pm Per repology:
So we could guess that at least 5.12 something is the minimal version that will do the job for most used distribution around. (Excluding testing and Arch derivative).

Strange enough there is no Linux Mint, that seems so popular, (but being an Ubuntu derivative, it will use 5.12.x).

It will be interesting having an idea of what is the most used Linux distros that are used by FreeCAD users. (sorry for the bad phrase with most use... in it.)

At least on a developers view it will help to focus on "real userbase needs", as it is frustrating maybe working on Qt6 and see that maybe only 10% of user base will use it and 90% have no mean to use it on his distribution (not taking in account that many Linux users could use AppImages).

As there are many discussion around and some "bug reports" (done on forum) about errors that are related to the use of "distribution supplied" version of FreeCAD, that sometimes are "old and not too up to date".

As usual IMHO

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe we can have a Qt6 branch? :o :mrgreen:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

onekk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:10 pm My thinking is "newer is not everytime better".
It actually doesn't matter if it's "better": it only matters that we expect it to replace Qt5 eventually (a decision that's out of our hands), so at some point we won't really have a choice about migrating. Since these things can take significant time, it's best to get started before we are absolutely forced.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

LarryWoestman wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:30 pm I happened to notice that Spyder uses QtPy, which appears to work with both Qt5 and Qt6. It might be worth a look if someone hasn't already done so.
Qt 6 was designed to basically be Qt 5.15, but with a bunch of under-the-hood changes, so I don't think the step from 5.15 (which we support) to 6.2 is that huge. We made it from Qt4 to Qt5, I have no doubt we'll successfully navigate this transition as well.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chennes wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:21 pm so at some point we won't really have a choice about migrating. Since these things can take significant time, it's best to get started before we are absolutely forced.
Yes, and that why I appreciate you bringing this up for discussion. Being pro-active for stuff like this saves everyone stress in the future.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Taking a look at different projects that leverage qt6:
Scribus https://github.com/scribusproject/scrib ... pe=commits
MuseScore: https://github.com/musescore/MuseScore/pull/10108
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chennes wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:21 pm
onekk wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:10 pm My thinking is "newer is not everytime better".
It actually doesn't matter if it's "better": it only matters that we expect it to replace Qt5 eventually (a decision that's out of our hands), so at some point we won't really have a choice about migrating. Since these things can take significant time, it's best to get started before we are absolutely forced.
I see your point, and I will share this vision, from this point of view.

My consideration was to see also "user needs", before doing the change, that is another "point of view", that some people seems to ignore. (Not you to avoiding misunderstanding).

But as said I'm using AppImage so whatever Qt version my distribution is using is not vital to run Qt. (But using Arch "quick adoption" of new library is a well established distribution behaviour).

Maybe that the "quick" adoption of newer Qt versions in distribution that usually rely on "old libraries" is related to KDE being one of the main DE around, (Maybe even LxQt or whatever is called now).

But this is clearly OT so I'm stopping here.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

JFI since 3 years there is a critical bug that seems related to Qt5 and openGL which leads to graphical crash on Raspberry PI4 boards with the official RPIOS 32B OS.
Hence RPI users (makers/students communiqty) can not experience FC since about 3 years (from RPIOS32B repo I mean), and IMO it's too bad.
It would be great to experience Qt6 then see if it fixes this bug hopfully :roll:
Keep forward! :)

Edit: is -> seems
Last edited by -alex- on Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

-alex- wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:07 am JFI since 3 years there is a critical bug related to Qt5 and openGL which leads to graphical crash on Raspberry PI4 boards with the official RPIOS 32B OS.
Hence RPI users (makers/students communiqty) can not experience FC since about 3 years (from RPIOS32B repo I mean), and IMO it's too bad.
It would be great to experience Qt6 then see if it fixes this bug hopfully :roll:
Do you have a link to the upstream Qt5 bug?