Freecad fails to be serious CAD because of poor language choice

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
andremiv

Re: Freecad fails to be serious CAD because of poor language choice

Post by andremiv »

From my early resaerch, it seems that CSG API is very similar to raytracing, Z buffer algorithms. Why not accelerate some of the API with opengl compute shader or vulkan ? I wish also there were more algorithms to choose from to perform the additive task. Because I generated my own points, I know how they are arranged so a brute force algorithm is not the solution here, it is waste of energy.

In definitive I propose 3 things :

-More algorithms to choose from to solve the CSG problem avoiding using a bruteforce algorithm when you know from the geometry that certains situations never occurs in that particular shape
-Stop with python (hard to learn and very slow, does all kind of things behind your back without your consent, bad language for anything serious, strongly advise against, for the sake of Speed !)
-Accelerate things with GLSL compute shaders or Vulkan (I personnaly only have experience in GLSL compute shader, when I was a kid I made various CPU and GPU ray tracers because I hated the standard hardware accelerated black box Z buffers algorithms from opengl and direct3d, They seemingly made only one rasterisation and what I wanted was mirrors which is super easy to do with rays, was a kid so I had limited patience and comprehension of API)

I see freecad use already the graphic card for rendering so why not use it too for computing ? It is very similar computations and it will manage half millions points easily, I expect the x100 speed boost

André Miville
A new era of point programmation has come !
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

This is kind of a one-way conversation. Correct me if I'm wrong but OP just came to tell us their opinion(s) and hasn't self-reflected on all the answers given and the questions asked in return of themself.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Making things faster is of course highly appreciated, and using the graphics card for that seems like a good idea. I’m only afraid that this means to implement a new geometric kernel too.

Concerning Python you seem to have missed all the previous posts in this topic :?.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:06 pm This is kind of a one-way conversation. Correct me if I'm wrong but OP just came to tell us their opinion(s) and hasn't self-reflected on all the answers given and the questions asked in return of themself.
agreed, OP is either trolling or entirely incapable of meaningful conversation, not to mention the baseless assumptions and "advise" plus the obvious bias against python apparently based on an unrelated bad experience with it.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:10 pm Making things faster is of course highly appreciated, and using the graphics card for that seems like a good idea. I’m only afraid that this means to implement a new geometric kernel too.
I don't think that the OCC kernel is involved in the speed of rendering, that is the job of the scenegraph. And it has been said many times the the Coin3D scengraph that FreeCAD uses is old an unmaintained. Ideally we would switch to VulkanSceneGraph
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Zolko wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:23 pm I don't think that the OCC kernel is involved in the speed of rendering, that is the job of the scenegraph.
If I understood andremiv right, he wanted to (sort of abuse) the graphics card for geometric CSG stuff.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
andremiv

Post by andremiv »

Sorry english is not my mother tongue

Chrisb seems to understand me good and gave pertinent answers.

Not reacting to OP ?
Maybe people want to play around with my stl, so they can understand me better, your mission is only to make rays/holes/cut in half/tenon and mortise holes/protuberance/cut theeth in sectors/axis drilling etcs for 3d printing preperation of globoid worm gear pair. You should not have to programmed them so you have to use freecad.

Are people ready for the task ? I advise you to play chess bewteen each commands because it is so slow

EDIT : the attachement doesnt seem to work, send me your mail and I will send you
Good Cordially

André Miville
A new era of point programmation has come !
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

andremiv wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:16 am Maybe people want to play around with my stl, so they can understand me better
may-be YOU need to better understand what FreeCAD is about ? It definitively is NOT made (=optimized) for importing and modifying STL files, even if it's possible to do that. FreeCAD's goal is parametric modelling, including EXPORT to various standard file formats: STEP, STL, PDF, Gcode, SVG ...
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

andremiv wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:16 am EDIT : the attachement doesnt seem to work,
Attachments are limited to 1MB.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

andremiv wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:16 am Maybe people want to play around with my stl,
Here is an example of how this would be done in FreeCAD https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13906 and updated one here https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=30270.