[finished] project: Making Part Extrude taking care of inner structure

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jonasb

Re: project: Making Part Extrude taking care of inner structure

Post by jonasb »

TheMarkster wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:55 pm If it is known which types of edges do not work, then it might be possible to check for them before attempting one of the methods rather than trying one and seeing if it fails.
I guess this can change from one OCC version to another. I also guess that OCC will do such a check first, so the assumption is that if it fails, it will fail fast. But that has to be checked.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

jonasb wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:20 pm
TheMarkster wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:55 pm If it is known which types of edges do not work, then it might be possible to check for them before attempting one of the methods rather than trying one and seeing if it fails.
I guess this can change from one OCC version to another. I also guess that OCC will do such a check first, so the assumption is that if it fails, it will fail fast. But that has to be checked.
Possibly it could change with different versions. I'm not sure right off how to check the edge type in C++ using OCC. Maybe TopExp_Explorer or something similar. In python I would do something like:

Code: Select all

for wire in profile.Shape.Wires:
    for edge in wire.Edges:
        if edge.Curve.TypeId == 'Part::GeomBSplineCurve':
            pass #handle this situation
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

davidosterberg wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:50 am I don't think you are right here. PartDesign_Draft is TNP sensitive because it relies on FreeCAD's face numbering. The OCC function does not use face numbers, as long as we can identify what faces should be drafted inside the feature code, everything will be fine with respect to TNP.
Then fine with me.
uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:58 am However, can someone please explain me on an example the issue with the B-spline. I still haven't understand it.
davidosterberg wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:50 am Actually topological naming is a good example. Imagine that you create a pad with taper=0. You create a sketch on its side face and continue modeling. Then you change taper angle of the pad. You will then get a failed model.
This works for me, here is an example:
Loft-example.FCStd
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
chrisb wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:26 am Here you are, it's the augmented example from my post above:
Thanks, now I got it.

What I wonder now is that when the problem is known and affects such a basic feature like PD Loft and Part Extrude, nobody took care yet if and how the OCC kernel offers us a better way to create lofts/extrudes.

So in effect, I am happy to have started this topic, hoping we will find a better solution now ;) .
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

davidosterberg wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:01 pm Now I tried it. It was straight-forward to implement a proof of concept.
Great!
To move on, I propose
1. you make a PR to change PD Loft. Loft does not have the direction feature, it just takes the wires as they are already defined.
2. When this PR is ready and merged, we use make a further PR to use this method for Part Extrude for the case that the extrusion direction is the normal. For the other extrusion directions we keep the current method.

Would that be OK for you?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:53 pm What I wonder now is that when the problem is known and affects such a basic feature like PD Loft and Part Extrude, nobody took care yet if and how the OCC kernel offers us a better way to create lofts/extrudes.
uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:10 pm Great!
To move on, I propose
1. you make a PR to change PD Loft. Loft does not have the direction feature, it just takes the wires as they are already defined.
I think you are a little confused, how can Draft be used to make a loft? Tapered pad =/= loft. Or is it me that I'm lost? :oops:
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:53 pm What I wonder now is that when the problem is known and affects such a basic feature like PD Loft and Part Extrude, nobody took care yet if and how the OCC kernel offers us a better way to create lofts/extrudes.
The problem is maybe known but not so much discussed AFAIK.
Since I'm not skilled in programming I opened this thread few month ago in open discussion subforum:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=63211
But I've got no any relpy, except from @realthunder, I thanks him for that.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:10 pm Great!
To move on, I propose
2. When this PR is ready and merged, we use make a further PR to use this method for Part Extrude for the case that the extrusion direction is the normal. For the other extrusion directions we keep the current method.

Would that be OK for you?
I will be happy to help.

1) I can make a PR to FeaturePad that implements the logic of modifying the original pad to have draft, but does not expose it in the UI. The changes will be local in FeaturePad.cpp and will thus not interfere much with your PR.
2) Then you can adapt your PR (that contains a nice gui) so that it first tries the Draft logic, and if that fails it falls back on using your new method generateTaperedPrism.
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

uwestoehr wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:58 am This works for me, here is an example:
Loft-example.FCStd
It is interesting that it is possible to Sketch on the spline surface. But it does not work without bugs.
I tried to sketch on one of the other faces and the pad went off in a wonky direction
bug.PNG
bug.PNG (16.68 KiB) Viewed 1511 times

I agree with Chrisb that it is tiring to come up with counter example after counter example. Go back in the thread and see how many that actually support the idea that BSplines are just as good as plane surfaces.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)

Edit:
BSpline_sketching.gif
BSpline_sketching.gif (487.21 KiB) Viewed 1496 times
Attachments
Loft-counter-example.FCStd
(52.68 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
davidosterberg

Post by davidosterberg »

uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

davidosterberg wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:57 pm 1) I can make a PR to FeaturePad that implements the logic of modifying the original pad to have draft
As I wrote, your method should first be use for PD Loft. PD Loft takes 2 sections and builds a shell around them. It appears that this method leads always to splines, even if the 2 sections are e.g. rectangles. So let's improve the situation and use your proposal for PD Loft. This way we can also stress-test your solution with existing test cases.

If it works there well for different test cases it can be implemented also for Part Extrude.

Meanwhile I first need to create the infrastructure that PD Pad/Pocket uses the same code as Part Extrude. I expect this will be as much work as it took to unify the code base for Pad and Pocket. Therefore let's please act in stages.