Best way to have release & dev versions of external WB simultaneously

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
KAKM

Best way to have release & dev versions of external WB simultaneously

Post by KAKM »

I've been working on additions to external workbenches that I use, but very consistently FreeCAD/Python will call a function from the (usually broken) in-progress version instead of the working version even if it is in a folder that has a different name (and not one that matches the original name of the workbench/the name it's listed as under the GUI workbench selector). It makes it extremely difficult to do anything with a given workbench because FreeCAD thinks that workbench is broken when the version I'm trying to use is actually completely fine.

My current solution is to move the versions in and out of the Mod directory depending on which one I want to actually run in FreeCAD at that moment. Is there a better solution?
chennes
Veteran

Re: Best way to have release & dev versions of external WB simultaneously

Post by chennes »

It would probably be more convenient to use git to switch between the main and development branches as needed, since that will be faster than actually moving the entire directory around. Git is designed to make switching branches very fast and efficient.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com