Integrating a user poll system

Here's the place for discussion related to coding in FreeCAD, C++ or Python. Design, interfaces and structures.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
user1234
Veteran

Re: Integrating a user poll system

Post by user1234 »

davidosterberg wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:17 pm I don't think there is much incentive towards voting fraud, or to vote randomly on things people don't understand.
Just a funny note:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 42#p512142
OK, that this is the extreme case, not 100% representative. But this is one reason, why someone who vote, must at least comment it briefly to validate the decision.

Greetings
user1234
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I don't believe you can get useful information this way.

The understanding that people have about the questions are too disparate. Imagine that 100 random users think something is good and wmayer thinks it's bad. Are you going with the majority?

How do you know that the poll reflects any ground truth? Maybe the people who vote are all newbies, or ex-fusion users, or trolls.

How do you know that everyone understands the question the same way?

What do you do about non-English speakers? Just ignore them?

This idea comes from good intentions but it isn't practical or useful.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Regarding spam, it's possible but only if someone has an interest in doing it.
Forum have a lot of spam (specially forum phpBB like this one, because they are a giant target. I mean that there are millions of phpBB forums so spambots can target them very easily to create spam content. Which has the goal of referencing some websites.

A poll wouldn't give the possibility to reference bad websites so shouldn't be target of spambots. It could still happen of course, if someone wants to force through his ideas but that feels rather extreme no?

And yes it doesn't mean that the forum doesn't hold the last decision anyway. Just a way to probe general feeling.
sliptonic wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:46 am The understanding that people have about the questions are too disparate. Imagine that 100 random users think something is good and wmayer thinks it's bad. Are you going with the majority?
Yes but if it is something that wmayer think is bad it wouldn't make it to the poll in the first place. It'd be more in good-good situations.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would like use the example previously given here as base for a discussion: During the heated discussion about coincidence plus point-on-object I had made a poll in the german forum, which I have stopped a minute ago, ast it started to vanish in forum's oblivion.

What would you have done with such result? Would you have stopped the discussion? Would you have searched for further arguments? Would you have made it optional, although a majority of the participants doesn't even want this?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

My analogy is simple :lol:
on a ship you trust the captain and officers to guide you through the stormy sea, you don't "poll" the passengers as to which way they would like the ship to travel....
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

bambuko wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 am My analogy is simple :lol:
on a ship you trust the captain and officers to guide you through the stormy sea, you don't "poll" the passengers as to which way they would like the ship to travel....
You don't ask passengers where they want to go? :lol:
I'm pretty sure the ship goes to where customers want to go and not where the captain wants to spend his weekend.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

paddle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:38 pm
bambuko wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:03 am My analogy is simple :lol:
You don't ask passengers where they want to go? :lol:
I'm pretty sure thse ship goes to where customers want to go and not where the captain wants to spend his weekend.
At the risk of torturing an already-strained analogy; no, you don't ask them where they want to go. Passengers buy a ticket on a ship with the destination already set. They don't get a say afterwards.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

paddle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:38 pm ...You don't ask passengers where they want to go? :lol: ..
You have misunderstood.. probably my fault in trying to make it too simple, sorry ;)

I didn't suggest "destination" I was saying that "way we get there"

Two different things and let's be honest you would never ask the passengers "how to run the ship" :D
That is my comparison - you are suggesting polling people who are not best qualified to pass a judgement on something they don't really know how it works... and what if they vote for something that you think is not optimal :mrgreen:
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Indeed, the passengers doesn't have a say in how the ship goes to where it's supposed to go.
That is why you wouldn't poll users on backend things. Like how solver should behave and so on. But the UI is definitly the destination in this analogy.

Anyway I agree with the argument that users might make bad decisions. It could be mitigated because the poll questions would be selected by the admins in the first place. So it'd be polls where both directions are good.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

paddle wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:29 am Regarding spam, it's possible but only if someone has an interest in doing it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gene